Chapter 3

Chapter 3

As the next two days slowly drag on, I notice lots of people staring at me, more than usual at that. I wonder what everyone's problem is...

My hopes about Colin turned out better than expected. He hasn't gone off once. I'm so thankful and relieved. Otherwise, I'd be so terrified, and I'm usually never scared.

We walk down the hallway now, holding hands and laughing. Every now and then I'll catch him glaring at someone who simply looked our way. I touch his arm, and he looks down at me with an apologetic look.

Things feel a little normal again.

"I'm taking you home today," he says more in a statement rather than a question.

"Okay," I reply.

"But there's a catch. I've got football practice so you can sit and watch."

"How long?"

"An hour. Maybe less," he answers with a shrug. I nod. Great. Looks like I'll be out in the heat for an hour.

He kisses me before watching me off to class. I feel his eyes watching me, staring at me, until I'm in the classroom. I take one last look to see if he's still there. And just like magic, he's gone. That's really strange.

Oh well. Just get the day over with.

_____

Colin and the team are already on the field by the time I arrive. I sit on the hot metal bleachers and try to shield the sun from my eyes.

The team goes quiet, mumbling a little then pointing to me, redirecting Colin's attention. He squints and waves at me. I wave in return. He flashes that angelic smile, but behind it, I know there's a bad temper.

I wonder why he's so nice but can turn so quickly. It's like he's bipolar, but he's not. He has multiple personalities, I guess. At least he's been okay lately.

I sit and watch the team warm up and get to practicing. It almost intimidates me a little knowing how much strength each one of them have, especially Colin. He's the big shot and most fit on the team. In that case, it terrifies me in ways no one else would understand.

My thoughts drift to anyone else besides Colin as I sit in the hot afternoon sun. Eli comes to mind first.

I like Eli, but he's a little distant from our group. I guess I couldn't blame him since his mom died a couple years ago, and we never talk about how she died because it almost makes us remember every detail... But nonetheless it was tragic for all of us because we'd known her since we were really little. Aunt Brittany was always so nice and loving. I remember going to her with my problems before. It wasn't often, but the fact she could help me was enough.

Ever since she died, Eli has never been the same. He's more of an introvert now, but he always loves having a good time. We kept him busy with activities to a point. Then he learned to get back on his feet.

But I think Uncle Steve is still taking it the worst, even after so long. He drank for a few months then realized she wouldn't want that for her family. We all supported them the best we could.

I think the biggest thing about their family is that it wasn't supposed to exist. The doctor told her that she was unable to conceive a child. Then one day, a miracle happened, and now Eli's here. He was considered a blessing and miracle. I'd like to think he was a gift for someone who had no idea of their fate years to come. It's just... amazing but sad at the same time.

Then there's Tyler. I wish I was just a little closer to Tyler. I don't visit Uncle Darry and Aunt Rebecca very often. Though we usually get together on the holidays. Sometimes it's still not enough.