III. A Nymph Scares The Living Daylights Out Of Fern

III. A Nymph Scares The Living Daylights Out Of Fern (Which I Can't Say I Didn't Enjoy)

TANIA

Just when I thought that this day couldn't get any worse, Fern appeared. Eyeing my limp body sprawled out on my bed with a look of disdain, Fern perched herself on the bed beside mine. The smirk on her face made me turn my head even farther away from her. I could sense smugness practically radiating off of her.

Sisters have this thing where they can sort of tell what one another is feeling.

I mean, smirking? Who does that anymore other than in those cliché romance books.

"Did you hear? I also got the location of where mother is." She stated smugly.

I shrugged.

Her face grew sour. (by that I mean more so then what she looks like on a regular basis.)

"At least my name isn't Tania. I mean who names their child Tania? Oh wait, our beloved father." She dragged out the word beloved, taking her sweet time to relish in my annoyance.

"You are named after a vascular plant." I muttered under my breath. I didn't realize she heard me before she continued, flipping her silky brown hair over her shoulder.

"What do you mean? My name is very sophisticated and—"

"The only Fern I've ever heard of is the one from Charlotte's Web." I muttered, crossing my arms sulkily as I felt Fern's glare on my back.

"Humph." was all Fern said before standing up, getting off of the bed that she was perched on. I watched her, staring daggers into her back as she flounced away, her hair glistening as she walked.

It was almost curfew but hey, at this moment I wouldn't be too sad if she got eaten by a harpie.

I thought back to Ella; one of the only good harpies out there. The thought made me smile.

Ella and I were friends. Not the kind that you tell all your secrets and crushes to, the kind that when you pass them you each give a little smile and if you are in the same room as them you come over to talk to them.

Ella was just so darn beautiful and her boyfriend Tyson? Tysella for the win people.

My mind trailed off as I watched Fern get praised by other demigods for how Demeter had talked to her in her dream.

It wasn't like I was jealous or anything...

Okay fine, maybe a tinge.

What it all came down to was basically the fact that my sister was getting all the praise and everything for the quest that I too was going on and maybe risking my life for.

Sibling rivalry at its finest.

As I laid in bed I couldn't quite shake the bad feeling that I had. The last two lines of the very short prophecy came to mind.

A goddess to save will mean the end of your days.

Beware the one who will raze.

Those were the two lines of the prophecy that in the meeting everyone decided to 'brush over' in a way.

Why? Did everyone think that I would go all wimp-mode on them and decide not to go on the quest?

If so, then they were right. I was actually a pretty big wimp...

I could feel the coolness of my pillow on my cheek and I closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep but to no avail. I had been diagnosed with slight insomnia and let me tell you, it is not fun.