LXXXII

Time seems to slow down and speed up simultaneously after that. I'm so busy getting through initiation and faking a "relationship" with Matthew that I have virtually no spare time to go visit Cassie. It's been a week since I last saw her, and I miss her so much I'm starting to wonder how difficult it'd be to sneak out of the compound without getting caught.

I don't want to brainwash Matthew too much; I'm worried he'll be able to see right through my act and figure out that I just pretended to forgive him in order to get what I want.... But seeing Cassandra is the most important thing right now, so I muster as much courage as possible and start looking for Matthew.

Luckily, I don't have to search for too long, because Matthew spots me within minutes. "Four!" I try not to roll my eyes and smile instead. Ever since I "forgave" him, we've been practically attached at the hip. "Hey. I was just looking for you." Matthew beams. "Really?" I nod. "I was actually going to ask you something, but you've already been so kind, that I-"

Matthew shakes his head. "I'm sure I can... arrange for whatever it is that you need." I raise an eyebrow. "Really?" Matthew smiles. "Yes, really. What is it?" I smile to myself. "Well... I haven't seen Cassandra in so long, and-" Matthew laughs.

"I see. You miss your girlfriend, huh?" I nod. "Could I go see her? Alone?" I emphasize that last part so he doesn't start getting any ideas about coming with me. "Oh. Sure. I'll file a permission form so you won't have any trouble getting out." I grin. "Thanks a lot!"

I even pat him on the back, a measly reward for his efforts. "You're welcome. Tell her I said hello!" I'm out of the compound and inside the train car in no time. As I approach the Amity compound, I prepare to jump out. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. On one, I jump, and land effortlessly on the ground. I jog towards the greenhouse, and the Amity scatter away as I pass by.

"Excuse me, I'm here to see Cassandra Reyes. She's staying here with Irene." The lady at the desk appears to be a receptionist, so I guess she'd know where I'm supposed to go. Her eyes widen as she notices my Dauntless clothes. "What's your name, dear?"

Good question, I think. "My name is Four." Just as she's about to call Irene, she walks up to the desk. "Four! What a nice surprise!" Irene gives me a hug. "How did you know I was here?"

Irene shrugs. "Psychic powers, maybe? I don't know. But I'm so glad you're here! Cassie has been dying - I mean - wanting to see you." She motions for me to follow her. "How is she?" Irene sighs. "She's doing great, being optimistic and all, but... the leukemia just doesn't want to cede." My fists clench. She'll be fine. She'll be fine. She'll be fine.

"There's still a chance she will heal, though. We cannot give up hope." I nod, but her words do not calm me in the least. We finally get to Cassandra's room, and she knocks on the door.

"Door's open," Cassandra calls out. "Someone's here to see you." Irene grins, and I walk in after her. "Four!" She runs toward me, and I hold her in my arms. "Missed you," I whisper.