Chapter 5: Yuma Himura is my Friend

Rin

Len was first to finish eating. As soon as he did he called Gumi and went back to his room to talk to her. When Yuma and I were both done we went back to my room. We spent our time talking about different manga we both liked. After about twenty minutes Len came in. He forgot to knock as usual.

"Hey, you guys want to come to the carnival with Gumi and I this weekend? It'll be fun," he said.

"Are you trying to make me go on a double date, Len?" I asked.

"No. Unless that's what you want," he glanced at Yuma then back at me, "otherwise it's just a group of friends hanging out."

"I don't want to intrude on your time with Gumi."

"You wouldn't be! The three of us were friends before Gumi and I started dating. We don't want to change that."

"Alright. Do you want to go, Yuma?" I looked over at Yuma to hear his reply.

"I'd love to. Wouldn't be against the double date idea either," he said, smirking.

"Are you serious?" I said. Mentally I questioned why I blush so easily.

"I'm teasing, calm down." He laughed.

"So, you guys'll come this weekend or not?" Len said. He seemed to be getting annoyed.

I looked at Yuma for confirmation, he nodded, then I said, "sure, we'll come."

"Great! I'm going back to talking to Gumi then. I'll tell her what you said."

Len ran off back to his room. Not long after my mom called us out saying Yuma's mom was here to take him home. Yuma put all his stuff back into his backpack and I walked him to the door. When we got there we saw that both our moms were too busy talking for Yuma to leave.

"I'm so glad Yuma's found a friend. I was worried he'd be alone forever, he distances himself so much," Yuma's mom said. My mom was quick to answer.

"It's the same for Rin. She's so shy..." My mom shook her head in what seemed to be disappointment.

Yuma and I sat on the couch to wait for them to finish talking. We got back to talking about manga, and then into a debate about subbed or dubbed. Really, we both prefer subbed, we were talking about how we don't understand the people who prefer dubbed. Every once in awhile I would listen to our parents' conversation for a few seconds.

"....his dad died when he was little so things have been a little hard," Yuma's mom said.

"Did your dad die?" I cut Yuma off mid-sentence. He looked surprised. "S-Sorry, that was probably wrong to ask...I just overheard your mom saying it...."

"It's fine," he said, smiling. "He did die. It was when I was little though, so I don't really remember him. I'm not really sad about it, for that reason."

"Does that mean you'd have a different last name from your mom? Since you'd keep your dad's name but she wouldn't?"

"Yeah. My mom's last name is Smith. Mine and my sister's is Himura."

"Isn't that Japanese?"

"It is. Oh, did I not tell you? I'm half Japanese. That's the other reason I'm interested in Japan, along with anime."

"Can you show me how to write it? In kanji I mean?"

"Sure!" Yuma pulled a piece of paper and a pencil from his backpack and wrote it out. It looked like this: 日村 "It means sun and village. My first name's written with kanji too, and so is my sister's, her's is Aimi. Wanna see?"