1 !

the sunset over beach city was absolutely stunning; it was such a shame that kageyama would only be there for one night. he pursed his lips as he looked out the back window of his van. the sky was painted in hues of pink, purple, and blue. it was as if a painter was allowed access to the canvas that was the sky. it was oddly and uniquely beautiful. once the stars and moon had risen, kageyama's concert would start and the day would end. he didn't want this day to end. he certainly didn't want to go back on the road. he had bit too many bumps that had bumped him the wrong way. he sighed and stared once again at the infinite beauty of the sky above him.

he felt as if he could dance in that sky. he felt as though in the music that he danced too, maybe not all of the notes would be right, but they would all feel right. his steps would create ripples, as if he were walking on water. he would be graceful, as beautiful as the sky itself. but alas, that was only a daydream, and kageyama was only a shitty musician, trying to earn his keep. he sighed again, this time turning away from the window and closing his eyes. he so, so tired, but he held it together very nicely with a few cups of coffee and three hours of sleep. the problem of the matter was the bags under his eyes. they were a deep purple and his manager always scolded him because of it. it wasn't his fault that he got no sleep; he couldn't! he had to sleep in the back with the guitars and amplifiers. maybe if his manager let him sleep up front, he would be a bit more alert.

"we're almost there," his manager murmured, mostly to herself. she adjusted her mirror so she could see kageyama in the back. "you ready for tonight's show?" she grumbled. kageyama only nodded meekly in response. she adjusted her mirror again with a deafening squeak! and paid no mind to kageyama for the rest of this trip. he wasn't complaining; his manager was a bit of a bother.

after what seemed like an hour but in reality was only ten minutes, the van pulled to a slow stop. kageyama looked outside of the dirty windows and saw a gorgeous beach with crystal sands. the lowering sun was reflected in the clear water, creating beautiful glittering. it was a ravishing sight like he had never seen. he wished so desperately that it would last forever, but good things always faded. this would be proven in an hour or two.

"get the stuff," was all his manager said. she then got out of the van and slammed the door hard enough to make anyone's bones shatter. kageyama winced and opened the back doors. one of the many downsides to traveling alone with his bitch of a manager was that he had to set up his own shows. he looked down the beach, which looked as if it stretched for miles in both directions. about 200 yards from the shore was a stage, firmly planted in the sand. he sighed and pulled his amplifier onto a rolling platform. he frowned when he saw there were no ramps, but only stairs. it was good he traveled light. with only a few amps, he should be set up well before the show started.

he was right; setting up took him almost no time. his manager had run off somewhere, probably to whatever club they had in town to drink until she couldn't walk and maybe get laid. no one sober would consider it, so she went to ratty night clubs searching for some willing, horny men. at least he would know where to find her. this seaside town was adorably small, so even if she wasn't at whatever club they would have here, he'd still be able to find her in no time. and even when she was drunk, she'd constantly remind him that she got 75% of all profits. kageyama cringed at the thought. he was the musician, after all. he deserved at the very least 50%.

a half an hour later, when the show was due to start, no one had shown up. this wasn't new to kageyama. he looked up to the sky. here, in a place with no skyscrapers to pollute the light, the stars were at their brightest. if he had no human audience, he figured he could sing to the sky. the cosmos couldn't boo him, nor could the high hanging clouds, or the planets off in the distance. the galaxy couldn't boo him, or kick him off the stage. it could only quietly listen and applaud him with their mere existence. he took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting his music consume him.

his voice said nothing because his guitar could do plenty of talking. his finger flew across the frets, sometimes slowing for different melodies. he didn't even look at the strings - he didn't need to. after spending so much time practicing and performing, these things came to him naturally. songs flowed into one another, becoming a lengthy medley, just as kageyama was becoming the music. he could feel the tempo, pulsing to match his beating heart. his eyes, although closed, were clouded with notes, as if they had been tattooed on his eyelids. his fingertips were the melody, sounding as sweet as the guitar itself. the guitar may not have been human, but it had a voice of its own.

kageyama had no idea how long he had been standing there and much less of an idea of how long he'd been playing song after song, blending in with each other like mixing paints and strangers in a crowd. his fingers were electric-shock warm, every strum going directly to his spinal cord. once his fingers started to cramp up, he turned around put down his guitar gently. behind him, he heard clapping, but not applause. he was sure if they were anywhere else, the sound would bounce off of the walls. but they weren't anywhere else, they were on the beach at ten o' clock at night, neither of them having anything better to do. he finally tuned around and met the big brown eyes of a short, fiery-red headed boy.