Through Everything

He put down the phone slowly, their words still ringing in his ear.

"Tato Naldo passed away peacefully in his sleep."

His parents had flown to Mexico yesterday to make funeral arrangements and he was to follow today.

His suitcases were packed but he couldn't bring himself to move.

Tato Naldo was his cool Abuelo. He taught him how to play the guitar and construct the perfect paper airplane. He had regaled him with tales of meeting famous football players. His eyes were always laughing. And he was gone.

A weight settled on his chest and a feeling of emptiness overcame him. His mind was running through all the things he could have told him, all the things he should have said and all the things his Tato Naldo will never know.

His head resting in his hands, León remained in that position for a long time, lost to the world.

Until he felt a gentle warmth on his shoulder, the sensation of a thumb calmly stroking his back.

He lifted his eyes and saw Violetta, an angel with braided brown hair and suitcases?

He looked at her with a question in his eyes as she calmly sat in his lap and looked at him comfortingly with her big brown eyes.

She whispered, "We've got each other through everything."

As she leant her forehead against his, he breathed a sigh of relief.

No matter what the days ahead bring, with her by his side, the future looked lighter.