Part 2

[Have you read part 1? If not, look for it here on Wattpad! Part 3 is coming up soon...]

“So, what? You’re killing us?” Crystal surprised Stephanie by screaming. “You’re really going to kill us? What did we ever do to you? Like James? What did he ever do for you to shoot him?

The van was stopped in the vacant parking lot of the Toys ‘R’ Us located across the street from where one of the gunmen was discreetly buying McDonald’s. Nobody suspected that he wasn’t a security guard – after all, he had the uniform. Nobody could tell that he had a Glock in his pocket that had been used to kill innocent parents and children just an hour ago. Who would know that the van had a famous band and their fans trapped at gunpoint?

“You talk too much,” the man in the driver’s seat answered calmly.

“I just want to know where you’re taking us! God!” Crystal shrieked.  “You can’t just do things like this to people and get away with it!”

“Sit quietly and wait for your food. If you make me repeat myself, I’ll be forced to use my gun for emphasis.”

Again, the van was quiet, except for Crystal’s soft weeping. Stephanie wondered about Christopher sitting behind her, if he was being strong. Sometimes when her little brother was nervous, he couldn’t help getting sick. Please don’t barf, Chris, Stephanie thought. I know you’re scared, but try not to make these crazy guys angry. She was so thankful for the kind way that Carlos was watching over her brother.

Stephanie wondered about Kendall, if the gunmen would be able to force him to eat a Big Mac when he was into a Whole Foods diet. And Logan – what was he thinking as he stared out of the window, looking so resolute? Was he secretly planning an escape, or an attack?

                Then Stephanie looked down at James. His face was relaxed, almost like he was sleeping. The sweat made his brow glisten in the streetlight, but he wasn’t red anymore – he was slowly turning pale. It wrenched Stephanie’s heart with fear. Could a person die from a gunshot wound to the leg? What if the boy of her dreams died right there in her arms?

                Just an hour ago, Stephanie had been thinking how lucky she was to finally have a chance to meet Big Time Rush. She had been dreaming about James noticing her, and falling in love with her on the spot, and her and Crystal getting married in a double wedding to their favorite celebrities. She never pictured that a kidnapping would be the way James would come into her life.

                “I’m so sorry,” she whispered as a tear trickled down her cheek. “I never meant for you to get hurt, James. You shouldn’t have saved me.”

                James’ eyelids batted open slowly. “You ... stunned,” he said in between shallow breaths. “Saw from the stage ... you were in shock.”

                In the middle of all those gunshots and all that fear, somehow James had noticed Stephanie panicking.

                “What’s—” James grimaced, touching his right leg. “What’s your name?”

                “Stephanie.”

                He smiled a little. “I’m James.”

                “I know.”

                The moment might have been funny without the whole gun thing going on.

                “Just try your best to hold on,” Stephanie said, wiping James’ damp hair off his forehead. “They’ll take you to a doctor soon. They’re not going to kill you.” If these crazy men wanted the band dead, they would have finished them off at the concert hall, not be buying everybody McDonald’s – right?