12) GRATITUDE 1

"Wind that window up, will you? " Humaira screamed on top of her voice.

"No! Why?" I shouted back.

"Look at all those children near your window! Mohammad Ismail, for goodness sake, wind your window! "

"Oh! Come in Humaira! They are little children like you and me."

A young boy presses his nose on the half-winded window flattening it further. More shrieks from my sister....

The car moved on bit my thoughts were still stuck there.

That boy in the torn blue shirt and scrappy shorts looked just a bit older than me. Ummm...let's see, I am eight he could have been nine or ten?

I wonder what he had for breakfast in the morning? Porridge? Tea? He did look hungry.

He hadn't been to school either. I couldn't see any bag or uniform.

I thought about the way my daddy wakes me up for fajr( dawn prayer) every morning from my cozy bed. The hot refreshing bath before a full breakfast... the ironed uniform and polished shoes... hug and kiss from mum and a 'I love you ' ... daddy waiting patiently in the car as I take my time to leave the house! Whoa!

The car stooped outside my house. My stomach grumbled. I was hungry. I wondered what would be for lunch?

Suddenly, I remembered the boy in the torn blue shirt and wandered if anyone will give that boy some lunch. I began to feel sorry for him and at the same time praying: "Oh Allah! You give me so much. Allahumma lakal hamdu kullu walaksh shukru kullu."

Tears filled my eyes as I simply couldn't count Allah's blessings upon me.

Right from the time, I wake up till the time I go to sleep Allah showers me with his bounties. Allahumma lakal hamdu kullu walaksh shukru...