Chapter Three: Crashing The Party

Liz ran through the streets, not bothering to check where she was running or who she was running into.

She pushed past people and through their shoulders, gaining dirty looks and mumbled curses.

Moving faster than ever she tumbled out into the road, coming eye to eye with the headlights of a limousine.

Her legs took the brunt of the impact, though the limousine had slowed down seeing her figure standing in the middle of the street.

She lay prone on the ground, her hair spread out around her in a halo, the gold light of her scar shining bright as those who saw the incident began to gather to see if she was alright.

A man sprang out from the back of the limousine, decked from head to toe in clothes that shouted expensive, his bright blue eyes falling on the unconscious body of Liz before falling to his knees to check her pulse.

After a moment he wrapped his arms around her body and lifted her into his arms, carrying her to the car and sliding her inside the limousine before getting in himself and driving off.

Oddly enough, no one questioned the event and went about their daily business in the streets, whereas in the dark limousine Liz stirred in the arms of the stranger.

When her eyes opened, the first thing she saw was the light and intense gaze of a man she had never seen before.

She froze and jerked away from where she laid in his lap, scooting to the other side of the limousine as far away from him as possible.

He held his hands out towards her and gave her a kind smile.

"I'm not going to hurt you I promise. Although me putting you in my limousine no doubt doesn't help my explanation I swear I'm not here to hurt you."

She flinched every time he moved his hands, hoping to avoid any violence that could come from this encounter.

"You hit me with your car!" She said incredulously. "You call that as not going to hurt me?"

His eyes darted to the left side of her face, causing her to pause and slowly raise her hand to notice that her hair wasn't covering that side of her.

"How did you come across a scar like that?" He asked in a quiet voice, trying not to attract the attention of the driver.

"It's none of your business." Liz ground out, covering it with her palm. "I understand it makes me look worse than I already do, you don't need to point it out."

The man held his hands up in defense. "I never said that, in fact, you appear to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life and I plan to introduce you to my family."

Liz's hand drooped in shock. "I am not beautiful and I am not visiting your family! I don't even know who you are, you could be a serial killer."

He quirked an eyebrow at her. "Yes, I am a serial killer who drives in a limousine who wants to introduce you to my family, that makes sense, but FYI my name is Cole Masterson in case you want to call the cops, here's my cell too if you need it."

He tossed her his cellphone and stared out the window, staying in a peaceful and calm silence for the rest of the ride until they pulled up to a mansion of a house on the outskirts of the city.

Cole climbed out of the car and offered her his hand which she readily declined and avoided all contact with, lifting herself out of the car to walk towards the house.

A butler came out of the house to greet them, carrying a silver tray in one hand and holding his other hand open in expectation.

Cole handed him the keys and took his cellphone from Liz's hand to put on the silver tray.

As Liz entered the house she stood in silence at the height only the staircase reached.

Cole gestured for her to follow after him as he passed the staircase and went to a large wooden door with intricate designs spread out along it.

Under the arching doorway, Liz paused when she saw, engraved deep in the right hand corner of the doorway, a small swan with vines woven around it identical to that of the swan that hung from her neck.

She clutched onto the necklace out of reflex and snuck a glance at Cole to see if he had noticed the swan.

However, he continued walking and led her into a large dance hall where glass chandeliers hung from the ceiling, glittering and sparkling in the light that shone in from the open doors that led to a spacious pavilion overshadowed with pillars and human statues that could have come from the Grecian era.

Liz's body tensed up as she took in not only the grandness of the room before her, but the design of yet another swan above the doorways around the room, same detail, the same vines, and they all were directed towards the center of the room.

She spun around in disbelief, the feeling of the eyes watching and studying her.

Spinning back around to face Cole she met him with an astonished look at his nonchalant grin and outstretched hand.

His smile lit up the room and it was the only thing she could see, fixated on the handsome and beguiling man before her.

He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear before running his hand across her scar in a gentle caress, sending shivers through her body.

"Dance with me."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~