Chapter Five: Hopscotch On the Veranda

Liz keeled over, trying to catch her breath as the little kids hopped back and forth on their 6th attempt of hopscotch.

Missy tugged on her jacket so that she could bend down to her level.

"Miss Lizzie, you don't have to play this next round if you don't wanna, James and me can play it by ourselves, Cole has been sitting laughing the whole time anyways."

Liz turned around to find what Missy said was true, Cole was sitting on one of the chairs on their veranda, clutching his stomach to contain the laughter that was aching to come out at Liz's attempts to play hopscotch.

She hugged Missy close and glared at her older brother. "Thank you sweetie, I'll make sure to get your brother back for it."

Missy's face brightened and her smile revealed twin dimples in both of her cheeks, she high fived Liz and was about to run back over to James when she reconsidered and turned back.

"Just so ya know, I think the squiggly line on your face is really pretty, I wish I had one like that."

The child's soft spoken words hit something in Liz's heart, causing her to smile and thank the girl halfheartedly, watching her run back to her brother James and tackle him when he claimed she was cheating.

Liz walked over to Cole who was siting in his chair still, he noticed her sudden change in character and leaned forward warily.

"Is everything alright Liz?" He asked quietly. "You know I was just joking around with you about the hopscotch."

Liz nodded and sat their rocking on her heels, and right when she had gained the courage to tell Cole what she had been struggling to keep in all day, his parents came out onto the veranda to see how the children were doing.

"Oh hello there dear!" The older woman said, the way in which her hair was in a careless bun told Liz that despite the wealth these people had, they weren't as harsh nor cruel as the others had been to her.

"You must call me Lili is that understood? I don't want any formalities here as that is not my style, isn't that right dear?" Lili asked her husband who stood undeterred to the right of her.

"Yes it is, my Lili," He said, smiling down on his wife while wrapping an arm around her waist, "and please call me Harold, Liz. It only makes sense to."

Liz nodded and stood up, extending her hand for a shake when Cole's mother grabbed a hold of her and gave her a bear hug instead.

"Now Liz! You must come with me dear we are going to get you out of these muddy clothes and into something much comfier ok? Ok!"

Within seconds, Liz found herself whisked away from Cole to be held in one of the largest rooms she had ever seen in her life.

Inside the room was a queen sized mattress with silky looking drapes, a tall vanity dresser with any available space covered with make up containers, a bathroom with a claw foot tub and two sinks.

Liz sat quietly at the chair in front of the vanity, watching with guarded curiosity as Lili ran back out with a black tank top, a dark purple skirt that hit her just above the knees and a snug black jean jacket.

"These are for you." Lili said, handing her the articles of clothing before shoving her into the bathroom to clean off and try them on.

Liz shut the door and slowly turned the faucet to the tub on, she stripped off her old and tattered clothes and  slipped into the foam covered water, the scent of vanilla and sugar wafting up from the water.

She lathered her skin with soap to remove months of grime that had covered her body, being careful to not reopen any new cuts or scrapes that betrayed her past life.

Toweling off, brushing her hair and throwing the clothes on she ignored the evident scars that stood out on her pale skin, knowing the ridicule that was soon to come, but bracing for it anyways.

When she came back out Lili gasped at the transformation, the clothes accenting her body so well that slight curves were visible from beneath while her hair shimmered like it was covered with the brightest of stars.

"You look incredible." Lily said in quiet wonder, smiling and taking her by the hand to lead her back down the stairs towards the dining room for their dinner.

"No wonder Cole speaks of you so often." She whispered mischievously, winking and pushing open the doors to see Missy and James fighting over who sat where, while Cole sat peacefully to the side.

"How has Cole spoken of me before?" Liz asked. "I only met him just this morning."

Lili's face dropped in surprise. "Oh well I'm sorry dear, I thought you knew, Cole has gotten into the habit of checking up on you everyday."

"Everyday?" She asked in shock, wondering how much Cole could truly know about who she was.

"Everyday dear, he would traipse all throughout those streets of yours to make sure you were okay."

Liz went silent, taking in Cole in a new light as he talked and joked around with Missy, making her giggle with glee when he hoisted her in the air and pretended to growl while she was slung over his shoulder.

"He knew who I was?"

Lili smiled and held the seat for Liz to sit into while plates of roasted meat and steaming vegetables were brought out ready to serve.

"Cole has always had a knack for those without a home, lost and not sure where to run, but you my dear, you're different."

Liz saw compassion fill Lili's eyes as she hugged her around the shoulders before sitting down with a content and joy filled laugh.

"And we love having you here with us to enjoy the ride that we call life."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~