Training Exercises.

Chapter 3

Abi woke up the next morning alone and on the sofa in the living room. She glanced at the clock to see that it read seven thirty. After Bucky kissed her they talked and then they had fallen asleep on the sofa. She smiled when she realised that he had covered her in a blanket. She looked around hoping to still find him in the apartment, but of course he had already left.

She sighed and as she got up she noticed something on the kitchen counter. She walked over and picked up a folded piece of paper with her name scrawled across it in Bucky's hand writing. She opened it and read the words written:

Abi,

I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye but I thought it would be easier like this and I didn't want to wake you. I noticed you have a bag packed. Good luck with whatever you are doing. Keep yourself safe and keep Steve out of trouble.

Bucky.

She smiled as she lent back against the kitchen side; he was always more bothered about what happened to her and Steve more than what happened to himself. She refolded the note before walking upstairs and putting it in her packed bag.

____________________________________________________________________

"Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter and this is Agent Rogers. We supervise all operations of this division." Peggy Carter addressed the line of soldiers.

Peggy was a tall English woman with short brown hair and always wore bright red lipstick. 

Abi stood next to Peggy and glanced down the line to Steve, who was considerably smaller than the other recruits.

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army." One of the recruits called.

"What's your name, soldier?" Peggy asked as she walked up to him.

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty." He said with a smirk plastered across his face.

"Step forward, Hodge." Hodge did as Peggy asked and stepped out of line. "Put your right foot forward." She told him. He did as she asked.

"Are we dancing? Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like." Hodge said with a smirk. 

Peggy smiled before punching him hard in the face.

An army green jeep pulled up and Colonel Phillip's, the army officer man in charge of this particular operation, stepped out. He walked down the line of soldiers  

"General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men. And because they're gonna get better. Much better." Colonel Phillips said, looking at Steve as he said the last part. "The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with one man. 

"At the end of this week we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers. And they will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of Hell." The Colonel said before walking away.

__________________________________________________

Over the next week the recruits were put through a series of tests lead by either Abi or Peggy until they had narrowed down the choices for the program. Steve struggled with the physical tests, but he excelled at the mental. By the end of the week the Doctor had made his decision.

"You're not really thinking about picking Rogers, are you?" The Colonel asked, briefly glancing at Abi as they walked towards where the recruits were training.