What About Bucky?

Chapter 5

"Think you got enough?" Steve said as the nurse pulled the needle out of his arm. They were sat in a room taking blood from his arm.

"Any hope of reproducing a programme is locked in your genetic code. But without Dr Erskine it will take years." Peggy told him.

"He deserved more than this." Steve muttered getting up and rolling his sleeve down.

"If it could only work once, he'd be proud it was you." Abi told him with a small smile. They turned and walked out into the hall where the Cornel and the senator were talking.

"Hydra is the Nazi deep science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions." Abi told the senator after over hearing them talking as they walked out of the room.

"Hydra's practically a cult. They worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible." The cornel told the senator.

"So what are you gonna do about it?" The senator asked.

"Spoke to the president this morning. As of today the SSR is being retasked." The cornel said looking at Abi and Peggy.

"Colonel?" Abi asked.

"We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags Agents. You too, Stark. You're flying to London tonight." The cornel told them Abi looked at Steve.

"Sir, if you're going after Schmidt, I want in." Steve said looking from his sister to the cornel.

"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo." The cornel told him.

"The serum worked." Steve protested.

"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough." The cornel said walking away.

"With all due respect for the cornel, I think he may be missing the point. I've seen you in action Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper!" The senator said walking over to Steve, Abi and Peggy.

"The enlistment lines have been round the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that and hide him in a lab. Son, do you wanna serve your country on the most important battle field of the war?" The senator asked.

"Sir, that's all I want." Steve said.

"Then, congratulations. You just got promoted." The senator said shaking Steve's hand.

________________________________________________________________________

After the incident with the serum Abi was whisked from place to place until the SSR settled in Italy, five miles from the front, on an army base. She was flown out late after an incident in London so as she arrived Steve was already there and on stage in front of some soldiers. She was greeted by Peggy who briefed her and told her Steve was on the base. She then watched from backstage as the soldiers chewed him out. She had to feel sorry for him. All he wanted was to serve his country but he was stuck on stage, in tights.

She and Peggy walked up to him after the show. He saw Abi and immediately pulled her into a hug.

"Hey Steve!" She said from his big bear hug.

"Hi. What are you doin' here?" Steve asked looking from Abi to Peggy.

"Officially we're not here at all. That was quite a performance." Peggy told him.

"Yeah. Uh...I had to improvise a little bit. Crowds I'm used to are usually more uh..." Steve said looking down as Abi put her arm round him.

"Well I understand your America's knew hope?" Abi said.