The Next Morning

The boys awoke with their arms around each other. Denmark wiped snot from his nose and toyed with Norway's hair pin. "Norway, Norway! Wake up, Norway! Denny wants to play!" Norway stirred and groaned in his sleep. Denmark kissed his cheeks. "Norway, Norway! Wake up!" One of Norway's purple eyes fluttered open.
"What did you want, Denmark?" he asked deeply. Denmark hugged Norway. Their pale bodies seemed to become one again. Norway pushed Denmark a bit. "I love you, Den, but not now. I'm tired and I don't deal well with contact in the morning." Denmark whined and groaned.
"But Norwaaaay!" he protested, "Love me! Cuddle me, kiss me, pet me!" Norway groaned again. Denmark persisted. His skin rubbed Norway's and made it warm. "Please get up? I'll make us breakfast. I'll make you something with lots of butter for you..." Norway smirked and sat up.
"That's exactly how I like it." Denny smiled and got up. He walked off and Norway lie in the bed. I should do something for Denmark, he thought to himself. Maybe I'll bake him a cake! No... Too cliché... What if I... Oh! Yes! Perfect! I'll give him the biggest smile ever! I never smile, but for him.
Norway walked into the kitchen where Denmark was. "Turn around," he said in his, thick soothing accent. Denmark turned from the buttery pancakes he was making and to Norway. Norway took a deep breath and flashed Denmark a huge, dazzling smile.
"N-Norway... Y-y-you're s-smiling!" Denmark stammered. Norway nodded and walked over to Denmark with an adorable grin still on his face. "I did it for you, Den," he cooed, "I love you. And I want you to know how happy you make me. You make me feel safe, and loved, and you're the only person in the entire world right now that wants to make me smile."
Denmark dropped his spatula and threw his arms around Norway. "I love you so much!" he squealed. "We're going to be together forever!" Norway patted his head and picked up the spatula. The smile that remained on his face said everything he didn't.
The smile was special. It wasn't a fake smile, plastered onto his face for Denmark. Yes, it was for Denmark, but it was to show how he truly felt. The feeling was warm and fuzzy and amazing. It was love! They were in love!
"Norway?" Denmark asked as he flipped a pancake, "You're my boyfriend... Right?" Norway nodded, "Av kurs," he put his hand on Denmark's shoulder. "Why do you ask?"
"I just wanted to make sure..."
"That's the only reason why?"
"Well..." Denmark trailed off and poked nervously at the pancake. "I was hoping some day... We could be a bit... More?" Norway smiled and hugged him. He knew exactly what he meant and was willing to commit to it.
"Maybe," Norway told him, "It's a really good chance." Denmark smiled and flipped the pancakes. In his heart, he knew that it would happen. One day, they would be more than friends, more than boyfriends, they would be... Well, you can guess.
Norway took Denmark's hand and started to flip the buttery cakes. "Did you get this recipe from that brother of America?" Norway asked. Denmark nodded. "His name's Canada. He's quite nice."
"I've only heard of him. I've never seen or talked to him."
"I have. But let's not talk about him. Let's talk about us!"
"Alright. What about me do you want to know, Denmark? You already know so much."
"Why haven't you ever smiled before now?"
"Well, Denmark... There just hasn't been a lot to smile for. Except for you."
Denmark blushed a bit. "There's just always been so much to smile for... And... There's just going to be one more thing..." He took the pancakes off of the burner and looked at Norway. Taking a deep breath, Denmark dropped down onto one knee and took Norway's hand. Their eyes met and Denmark practically screamed, "Will you marry me?!"
Norway's pale face turned bright red and his stomach dropped. "A-av kurs..." he stammered. "I-I'll marry you..." Denmark shot up and hugged Norway. "Thank you... It was just so sudden, I didn't expect you to say yes! But you did and I'm so happy!"
Norway couldn't believe what he had gotten himself into. A happy life with a man he had only recently opened up to. The man he had always been in love with, but had been to shy to admit it. He knew there were lots of smiles in store for him, now.
Norway, the nation who never smiled. Denmark, the one always smiling. These two were brought together by chance and bound together by fate. They were in love.