1

Dedicated to my best friend, you know who you are ;)

The Winter Soldier was forced into a chair with metal restraints that locked his limbs in place. Securing his unresisting figure as he dreaded what was to come.

His eyes stared into the space in front of him, not really seeing anything as his doctor paced around his restrained figure. Like an agitated cougar with his eyes scanning him over like a piece of meat.

"Is the machine ready?" His voice was heavily accented with German as he questioned the two scientists next to the machine directly placed behind the chair.

They finished fixing whatever had captured their attention, and now stood back nodding for the doctor to continue.

"Let's begin."

As the chair leaned back, his real and metal hand clenched the armrests tightly. His body suddenly tensed as the headpiece encaged his head in its unwelcoming embrace.

Then it started.

White, hot searing pain. It enveloped his head, sending lighting through his nerves, setting his brain on fire.

It flared like a light, never dimming. The constant light, the pain, as if the cosmos was tearing itself apart inside his own mind.

Then it just stopped.

His breathing was ragged. His throat raw from screaming, his hands aching as he released the armrests.

His head was spinning as the headpiece released him, letting the chair tilt and rest in its original position.

He felt erased.

"Longing." The doctor's voice penetrated his skull like a dagger, pain and fear mingling.

"Rusted. Furnace."

He was fading, he could feel his control slipping away.

"Daybreak. Seventeen."

He didn't resist. He couldn't.

"Benign. Nine. Homecoming."

The words bounced around in his skull. Echoing, booming, shattering his identity.

"One."

His eyes closed.

"Freight car."

Footsteps sounded and he opened his eyes to see the doctor standing in front of him. "Soldier?"

Nothing was felt as he met the man's cold eyes, the color of ice.

"Ready to comply."