17

One year later...

He was on the edge of a building, crouching as he looked through the rifles scope, not targeting but observing.

The apartment through the window remained dark, just as the night was dark that hid his figure and shrouded New York City in it's suffocating cloak.

Then through the blackness came a crack of light as a door was unlocked before swinging wide open, yellow light from the hall bathing the living room's floor.

The figure, clearly a woman reached over and flicked a switch, the light illuminating her features which he knew so well.

"Clarissa." He breathed.

He watched with a yearning heart as she dropped her keys on the table and locked the door.

She then headed towards the window as if on a feeling, and he withdrew back, further into the shadows as she seemed to scan the night for something, perhaps him.

But with a shake of her head, she disappeared into another room, leaving him to close his eyes tightly as he fought the feelings inside of him. Fighting the urge to go to her.

But she wasn't his anymore, not after the mind wipe a year ago. And he couldn't risk her life anymore if he got her to remember.

It was time to let her go.

But his mind was against his heart.

Back in Bucharest was his lonely apartment and long hours of staring at a wall for an answer to life's cruelty.

Reaching into his jacket, he pulled out a phone as he set the rifle down. Heart hammering against his chest as he dialed the familiar digits.

She didn't answer, which meant she already had went to bed, but her machine's monotone voice did.

"You won't know me." He began.

"But I know you. I know you dream of another life that seems so real, but when you wake up, it isn't."

"You dream of a small town, where a man and a woman visit under the moon. Know that he loves you more than anything, and know that he'll do anything to keep you safe from harm."

He paused to recollect himself, but his voice shook. "If you ever remember..."
"I will find you."

"I will always find you."

-

THE END