Chapter 7

Wind rushed through Amber's thick white fur as her paws dug deep into the soil before her legs pushed her through the air. I held my breath as the wind whistled past her ears as her heart raced against the clock, her mind only on one thing.

Somehow hurting me. And that thought alone would send shivers down my spine. 

I knew she couldn't do it, not without hurting herself too, but yet she stayed determined. And with her hard stare that flickered with something strange, I was beginning to doubt my thoughts. With every leap, her paw would dig deeper into the ground before pushing off once again as she darted through the tall trees. Leaves and dirt shifted beneath her as birds and other animals scurried away from her wrath. But her stare must have been something else, I might have been able to feel the anger that flowed through her veins, but I wouldn't be able to see the hunger she held in her eyes.

"Amber calm yourself!" I found myself screaming inside, my voice laced with panic as I willed her to stop this madness. Panic override my sense of logic.

"No! He is our mate, we need him and wether you like it or not, he needs you!" She growled, the action sending a small vibration through her body.

"Why are trying to hurt me?"

"Because every time you think that you will never see him again, every time our friends make those remarks and every time you make it clear I won't have my mate, it hurts Nicola. And I will make you feel what i feel when you say such things," Amber whispered, her huffs of breath mixing with the wind

I had no words.

The beating of our hearts mixed together and I soon became confused as to who was angry and who was panicked. Although we could only really share each other's body, it was hard to really be one. Her thirst for blood and my wish for her to stop. Either way, she was in control now, all I could do was mutter small words and pray she would listen.

But she was completely closed off, and nothing else could scare me more.

As she continued the ground started to harden as the landscape changed, the trees grew taller and appeared thicker with age. Their tall tops reached for the darkened sky, while their green leaves covered the sky like a blanket, completely cutting off any view of the stars.

"Amber? Where are we?" I asked, begging her to turn her head around and stare at the unknown territory we were entering. The ground continued to harden before I finally realised her claws were no longer digging into the soil, but skidding along a cracked path.

In the distance a large house appeared, the small cracked windows only showing a small amount of light as figures strode inside. The smell of other wolves hit Amber's nose and she ran faster. But rather than turning around, she sprinted further to the house. My lips parted for a small pathetic scream to escape them.

We can't be here, wolves cannot enter another wolf's territory. It was forbidden and the punishment for it...

I shuddered.

"Amber, we need to turn around, we can't be here!" I pleaded.

And then I clicked, she couldn't hurt me herself, so she would get others to hurt me.

She came to a halt, her breathing  becoming even as she waited in silence.

I imagine her large wolf body turning around and sprinting back off into the forest, I imagine the feeling of her paws against the ground and the wind pushing through her fur, whistling through her ears.

But instead, for what was only a small moment, Amber lifted her head back and after inhaling one long breath, she let out a long loud howl.

All hell went down from there.