Chapter 24

"I didn't know you read," I state, my gaze falling on a small shelf hidden in the corner of Xavier's room. I am instantly intrigued by the thick, dusted and packed shelf, wondering what books he reads and why he enjoys them.

He stops playing with my hair as he freezes, his gaze drifting to the shelf too as his cheeks blossom to a light pink. I giggle.

"That's actually so cute, what do the boy's say about it?" I ask, shifting a little to reposition my head from his stomach on to his chest.

We lay on the bed a few hours ago, falling into a comfortable, easy silence. With Xavier lying on his back, one arm crossed beneath his head above a pillow, while the other lay beside me, his fingers brushing through my hair. I don't know why, but I decided to use him as my personal pillow, resting my head on his chest as I brought my body close against his, my arm draped over his torso.

Nothing in me wanted to move. Not even to get dinner.

"The boys don't know," He chuckles, like keeping that secret is a big deal. Well, I suppose in a house of guys, especially werewolves, it would be hard to keep something secret.

I grin, tracing circles on his chest.  His breathing quickens for a few seconds as I hear his heart skip a beat before he takes in a long deep breath, his body sinking further into the sofa. Continuing to fiddle with my hair.

"Why don't you want to go home?" He asks, his voice small, like he I attempting to walk on eggshells. The corner of my lips tug down and the idea of my father already bring bile to my throat.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Nah, it's okay," I interrupt, my chest suddenly feeling heavy as flashes of Mom rush through my mind. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I remember her smiling down at me, the brightest light deep in her eyes as she watched me run playfully. I even remember when she used to tear up every time I was hurt, even when I had just nipped my finger.

I remember the time when we decided it would be a good idea to make up jokes. We laughed at the really bad ones and smiling at the clever ones, our hearts content as we lay on her bed.

"What did the fan say to the bow drier?" I said, a smirk loud and clear on my lips. Mom stopped laughing for a small moment, her eyes drifting from me to the ceiling as if to answer.

Ready to deliver my punch line, I said it loud and clear, "Let's blow each other."

I didn't understand then what that meant but I still remember how Mom had to fight for her breath as she laughed.

I would to if I heard that from a 5 year old.

"My dad kicked me out," I whisper, holding in a breath as I wait for his response. I could just tell by the unspoken silence, he wanted to know more.

So I told him, about Theo, about what I did to him, why I was punished. Who my mother is and who my father is. And with each word, his fingers no longer fiddled with my hair, but slid down to my hand before holding it tightly. Squeezing my hand every time he heard my breath catch. Something about his touch sent both sparks through me, made my heart speed and my breath hitch.

How is one man able to do that?

"But every time I mentioned the idea of me being the alpha, you know the only leader of the pack, he shut me down immediately. He gave me these excuses, these reasons, explaining to me that I was too selfish to put their needs above my own," I finish, Dad's voice ringing through my mind. His words taunt me.

Rather than feeling my blood boil, I felt my heart sink. My own father thought I was incapable. That I, his own daughter couldn't think about any body else but herself.