The Bell

Gabel was already in bed, reading. "Where have you been, buttercup?"

"Talking with Flint." I closed the door behind me with a gentle click.

Gabel turned the page. "Did he growl at you for bothering him after-hours?"

"I am the Luna. I can cajole a little indulgence from him."

Gabel chuckled. "How bad of a mood was he in?"

With Hix in the south, and Eroth not really being suitable to be a First Beta, and Donovan as predictable as a cat, Flint had become the defacto First Beta in many ways. It wasn't official, nor was it permanent, but it didn't please the Master of Arms at all. He just didn't have an alternate solution.

"Grouchy."

Gabel watched as I pulled off my top and shook out my hair. Warmth pooled between us, and he set his book on the nightstand table, shifting on the bed.

"Gabel, we need to talk about something." I said, hoping to chill the moment.

"Still this? The Moon will not take you from me. She cannot make me give you up."

"She will find a way."

Gabel slid out of bed. He came over to me, gripped my face in his hands, "No. I won't let you go."

He made it sound so simple! He pulled me back towards the blankets. "Gabel, please. It's not about that anyway--"

"It can wait. Tell me afterwards."

"After what?"

"After I remind the Moon Herself who you belong to."

I laughed. "The Moon knows!"

"Then I need to remind myself. Right now."

I was not in the mood, but telling Gabel no in that moment would have been unwise. He was so rattled, so feral... he knew. Even if he didn't know as I did, he knew things were spiraling out of his control. His fingers pulled at my skin, hungry. "Slow down, Gabel. Just in case you're wrong, I want memories no one will ever exceed."

He yanked me hard against him, then shoved me down onto our bed. His hands gripped my calves and yanked me to the edge of the mattress, and he moved over me like a wolf, hands on either side of my body. He growled, "Control? You want control when I am about to tear off my own skin?"

It wasn't his skin I was worried about. "Yes."

"Woman, I could take you right now." he shoved one hand under my skirt, yanked at my panties, the lace digging into my skin. "Maybe I should. To remind you who you belong to, so the Moon knows I have no intention of humoring Her whims. Pleasure be damned."

"Maybe you shouldn't punish the wrong woman, Lord-Alpha."

"That sounds like honey dripping from your lips."

I laughed and ran my hands through his hair. "Stop talking, Gabel."

His fingers shifted. He worked my panties off my hips. "Fine, woman," his voice was husky, and I shivered in anticipation.

#

"Gabel." I murmured. "You need to know something."

He twisted onto his elbow, and looked down at me. "What, buttercup?"

"There is more going on here than appears to be."

"You won't convince me, buttercup."

"This isn't just about you being Magnes' get, Gabel. Humor me a moment."