2***#23

I don't know why I chose him. He was just a kid. Then again, so was I, and look at what I know. But why him? Why did his eyes look so bright to me? Not the harsh Lab bright, but a warm, sensitive light. I wanted to stare into them for a very long time. And his arms... I wanted to be in them. It was a strange feeling, really, emotion and attraction- wait. Is that was this was? Attraction? I didn't really know. It was hard when you knew nothing but pain and emptiness. But #6 made me feel... whole. 

When my voice rang out, everyone looked at me. It was uncomfortable under their glares, but I walked straight towards #6 with purpose in my stride. His face showed no sign of emotion, which scared the hell out of me. I stood up straight next to him and lifted my chin, waiting for #39 to make a decision. He eventually looked up with his weary eyes and pointed to #37. "Him," he said firmly.

"Congrats, Constants 23, 42 and 39. Your first test is over. You shall be rooming with the Variables you have chosen until further notice. Be aware that every move you make is being watched by trained Lab members, and any disobedience is cause for Removal. Head back to your rooms now and take your sleeping pill. On your way, we will inject you and your Variable with a serum that will help you communicate. Do not take this privilege for granted. Farewell." The automated voice crackled from the speakers and silence ensued. 

"Right this way, Constants and Variables, pull up your sleeve and hold out your arm, elbows down," one of the tall men barked. I followed instructions and let my gaze wander as the rest of the Variables filed back out of the room. Facing forward, I pulled up my sleeve and looked down at the crease of my elbow, which was swollen and dark purple. I heard an unfamiliar voice behind me and was met with the short blond haired one. She was talking fast to #42 and when she turned around and looked at me, I noticed she had small brown dots all over her face. 

"Why do you have dots on your face? Is it a condition?" I asked her. She gave me a weird look and then touched her cheeks. 

"They're freckles..." she said slowly while raising an eyebrow. 

"Freckles? What is a freckle?" I tilted my head to the side. 

"They're... I dunno, little dots that come on your skin?" She shrugged. "You people here are strange."

I huffed. "I'm sure whatever Lab you came from was just as strange!"

"I didn't... I didn't come from a Lab," she whispered. "I came from Florida. My parents sold me for money that the Lab promised. I'm not supposed to talk about it, but I can never keep secrets."

"#23, your turn!" 

I held out my arm and felt the needle slide through my skin. Icy liquid zipped through my bloodstream quickly. I shivered and then left the room, leaving Variable 25 frowning beside me. When I walked into the hallway, I saw my Variable standing awkwardly. MY Variable, I liked that. All mine. 

"I will show you our room," I said, trying to sound warm, but the words came out staggered and awkward. 

"You don't sound like the rest of them," he said, more to himself than I. 

"Come on, these walks in the hallways are the only times we can talk, because no one will be listening." 

#25 walked out of the room and threw me a look of despair with #42 right behind her. Constant 42 met my gaze and motioned with his eyes towards the hallway he was taking. He wanted me to follow them. 

"Come on, #6," I said, pulling him towards #42 and #25. He followed me, whispering something to himself. Constant 42 looked at me with relief when we caught up with them. 

"#23, they have names!" He whispered joyfully. My ears perked up. 

"Real ones?" I replied. 

"Yes! This is Sabrina." He gestured towards #25. She waved but then quickly shot back, "It's Sabby."

"That's so... pretty and warm," I said softly. "Just like your freckles."

"I have a name too, you know," #6 spoke up. "I'm Peter, but most call me Pete. Or at least, they did, until I was thrown into this hellhole."

"How did you get here?" I asked. 

"The world outside here is falling apart. There's no money, hardly enough food to get by. The Labs are the only thing that have brightness anymore. The Sun, oh, how I miss the sun. It's gone cold, and the only way people can earn money is by selling themselves or their kids to the Labs. That's what our parents did." Pete touched his hand to his face. "I used to be so tan..."

"We need names," Constant 42 said suddenly. "Real ones, preferably."

"You look like a..." Sabby squinted at him. "Tyler. Your name is Tyler."

"Tyler..." he said to himself, touching his neck. "I like that."

"What about me? I'm tired of being a number," I said. 

"Mikey, short for Michael," Pete said quickly. "I've always liked that name. It suits you."

"Mikey," I whispered to myself. "Mikey..."

-

Sorry it's short but likeeee yeah

-Ty