Chapter IV - Aila

Their home was of a humble size, but comfortable withal, situated on the outskirts of the village proper. Ívarr had no need of ostentation to declare his wealth or status within the settlement, preferring the coziness of a smaller abode and the capacious quiet of the downs to the north of the community. He, like all the wealthiest farmers in their district, preferred to be at one with his land without the rest of the populace infringing on his peace.

He had amassed a vast expanse of land and livestock from Aila's mother — Saga's dowery having been a prosperous one — and Ívarr, no less well situated himself, had then, upon her death, inherited his wife's excellent legacy.

He had, perforce, relinquished some small parcel of that land to Harald when Inga had wed the chief, but, by and large, it had been no great concession for, in relinquishing his land, he had garnered a powerful son-in-law.

Therein lay his current dilemma — he would now need to forge that link once more, afore Harald took another wife; and, in so doing, render Inga's dowery forfeit and useless. Aila well understood his need to consolidate that merging, of their family to Harald's, through her. He would lief cede another tract of land as dowery, a veritable fortune in silver if need be, to Harald than allow the chieftain's attention to stray to another; and for that second, nameless wife to benefit from their loss.

Their house was quiet this night, save for the fire, as father and daughter cast troubled eyes over the flames. Finna, their slave, unwound the flax from her distaff as the boys snored softly in their palates nearby. Of Elfa there was no sign. Her grandmother had not spoken even once since Inga's passing, and she was likely off tinkering with her herb chest as she was wont to do of a nighttime.

Ívarr finally raised his gaze and considered his eldest child from the other side of the fire, stroking his beard contemplatively. "I have something to discuss with you, daughter," said he.

Aila merely nodded, guessing the subject easily, and glanced towards the sleeping pair at her father's back. She could see that Orvar had opened one eye a fraction and now listened intently.

"I have entered marriage negotiations with Harald on your behalf. He is, as you know, keen for the heirs that Inga denied him; and he wishes to be married before the winter sets in."

"Father!" Aila was truly irked by the impropriety of Harald's heedless impatience; what of her sister! It would be not only a discredit to her sister's memory if she were to marry another ere the mourning period was even at an end, but she herself, as the deceased sister, required time to grieve. Moreover, it rankled that her father should talk so coldly of Inga, and so she addressed that first. "I am well aware that Inga brought dishonor to our family, but she was your daughter and deserving at least of her father's consideration if not his loving remembrance."

"You are right, of course," he sighed heavily. "I hadn't meant to sound callous, Aila, be easy. But Harald's reason is twofold — he must leave to the south in the spring and would like to see your waist thickening with child afore he goes. Surely you can understand the man's desire to father an heir before he goes to sea; what if he should not return? Should he leave this realm without a son to continue his line?"

"I am not in discord, Father. Truly, I understand Harald's intentions, but you must allow that tis obscene to celebrate a wedding so soon after the death of a wife; and sister. I cannot condone it. Can we not wait till-"

"I ask you again, what if he should perish afore he returns? There would be no wedding and no child."

"Then that is Odin's way. Come now, Father, he is not Harald the Blood-drinker for naught; he will return."

"Nay, it is the will of the gods that the jarl should beget an heir before he leaves. He is adamant, Aila, and I would have my daughter at his side rather than another's. I ask only that you think on it."