The Truth Will Set You Free

*Clara POV*

Summer was coming, despite the fact that everything was wrong with the world. The sky turned periwinkle blue and flowers as large as cabbages burst into bloom in the greenhouse. Everything outside seemed so happy. However, if you look at the two remaining Rhees', or me, and the rest of the trio. Without Hagrid, Hermione, and Emma, around to enjoy the lovely scene with us; it looked wrong. 

Harry, Ron, and I tried to visit Hermione, and Frisk, Adam, and I tried to visit Emma, however, visitors were now barred from the hospital wing. 

"Why can't i see my little sister?" Frisk says. She and I made up over the phone the morning after Emma's and Hermione's attack.

"We're taking no more chances," Madam Pomfrey told us severely through a crack in the infirmary door. "No, I'm sorry, there's every chance the attacker might come back to finish these people off. . . ."

As if any of us would attack them! One of them is basically my little sister and the other is one of my closest and best friends! 

With Dumbledore gone, fear had spread as never before, so that the sun warming the castle walls outside seemed to stop at the windows. There was barely a face to been seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense, and any laughter that rung through the corridors sounded shrill and unnatural, so it was quickly stifled. 

Even I had trouble coming up with jokes to say, and eventually I gave up completely. I didn't have the heart or energy to try anymore. Song lyrics from Nickelback come to me constantly for some reason, Just give it one more try to a lullaby, and What are you waiting for, being most common. I just don't see how trying to fix anything will work.

I'm out of fight. I give up. I surrender. I'm done. I'm broke.

Hagrid's hint about spiders is much easier to understand than Dumbledore's cryptic words-the trouble was, there didn't seem to be a single spider in the castle to follow-even if I wanted to. Nevertheless, Harry and I still looked wherever we went, helped (rather reluctantly) by Ron. Progress was hampered, of course, by the fact that we aren't allowed to wander off on our own but had to move around the castle in a pack with other Gryffindors.

Most of our fellow students seemed glad that we were shepherded from class to class by teachers like livestock, but I thought it was stupid and an insult. I don't like it here and if I had it my way I'd be in the hospital wing with Emma and Hermione all day.

One person, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and suspicion. Draco Malfoy was strutting around the school as if he were some sort of prince. I didn't realize why he was so pleased until two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid had left, when, sitting right behind Malfoy, I overheard him gloating to Crabbe and Goyle.

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore." he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in. . . ."

I sat there, twirling my quill through my fingers. Snape swept past Harry, making no comment on Hermione's empty seat and cauldron.

"Sir," said Malfoy loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Snape, though he couldn't hide a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Malfoy, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job-I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, Sir-"