Chapter 5

(Sorry for the wait! I've been taking care of my mom, who had some major surgery done. To make up for it, however, the chapter is extra long. I hope you guys enjoy it. (:

To the right is Lauara Barriales, A.K.A. Francesca.)

I was half dead when I arrived at school the next day. I had come home from the grocery store to find Sadie sobbing next to my dad, who was staring at her with an irritated expression. He'd sworn he hadn't done anything to her, and that she had started crying as soon as I'd closed the door. 

I'd picked Sadie up and questioned how the hell he had taken care of my brother and I when we were babies. 

He had looked at me with a heartbroken expression, and responded, "Your mother," before walking off to find more alcohol. 

After finally calming Sadie down and putting her to sleep, the groceries that were supposed to be refrigerated had been on the counter top in the kitchen for a good two and a half hours. What the hell he had done to make her cry so much, I'd never find out.

I had to go back to the store and buy more of what had been lost, only to return home then run to the liquor store and get a few more bottles for my dad. He'd been drinking heavily after our little argument, and was running out.

By the time I went to bed, it was three a.m.

I was brought back to the present by a finger being stuck in my ear. I bolted up from my desk, where I had apparently fallen asleep, and saw Fran grinning at me and holding up her finger.

"Bell rang, Sleeping Beauty. I was waiting for you in the hallway but you never came out."

I looked around and saw the classroom was empty. Were teachers allowed to leave students like this?

I slung my booksack over my shoulder and rubbed at my eyes. I'd slept through half of my classes that day, and was finally starting to feel a little better.

"Sorry, Fran. Last night was rough."

She shook her head and smiled, long hair swaying, and placed an arm around my shoulder as we walked out of the classroom and headed to lunch. 

"I have a feeling today is going to be a lot better."

I turned my head towards her, pushing her away a little so I could see her face. What was she talking about?

She grinned widely, removing her arm from around me.

"I was talking to a certain someone while waiting for you in the hallway. His name starts with a T and ends with an -ravis, and he wants to go on a date with you tonight."

I started to squeal with excitement before realization hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Oh, I can't go out. I have to watch Sadie."

Fran pulled me to a halt and turned me to face her.

"No, you idiot! I'm watching her tonight, while you go have fun with your hot hunk of man. And don't you even dare protest. He is perfect for you, and you know it."

I looked at the ground, a frown deep on my face. Bryan's words from yesterday were still lingering in my head. I had yet to tell Francesca about it, and didn't plan to.

"Lori. "

I looked back up at her. She had a fierce look on her face.

"Get. Over. The. Asshole."

I was about to reply, when her expression changed to a pleasant one and she was looking over my shoulder.

I turned and saw Travis coming our way, a large grin on his face, and I nearly swooned. He really was handsome. How had I not noticed him in the hallways before? He was wearing a plain grey t-shirt that certainly didn't make him look flabby.