Chapter 3

Here and Now

       The day after the accident, I had recovered after a night’s rest. I went to work with my dented car, but it was still okay.

      The moment I arrived at Elite Travels in Net Building I knew something was up. You know, like when you have goose bumps and you feel the hairs at the back of your neck have stood on end. Everybody was concentrating on their jobs, like turtles focusing on a leg race. I was wearing my newest ensemble, courtesy of Bayo, so it’s not unusual for me to expect some looks of appreciation. Then as if on cue they looked up. Damn. I must look great. South sea diet working. Eyes followed my progress to my cubicle. But the looks they were giving me were not appreciation, more of warning.

      “What?” I mouthed. The only answer I got was shrugs.

      The note, in neon blue, stuck out like an omen on my beige table. “The new boss wants you,” it said, written by Elisa, our illustrator. She lived in the other cubicle.

        Shoot. There’s a new Editor in Chief and I’m not it. It took a while to sink in. I sat there for a while and tried to collect myself.

        The cubicle which was a tiny little space became tinier, I almost hyperventilated. Swooning is not part of my act. Get a hold of yourself girl. I pinched my arm and bit my lip to counteract whatever depression I was feeling. Damn,damn,damn.

        I stood up and did a little jig to ward off any excess resentment in my body.

        I went to the editor’s room. The grey motif was so perfect. Obviously the new editor didn’t have his things in yet.

          Several palettes played in my mind. If I had this room I would change this into my mini studio. Some fuschia here, an art deco chandelier there, a red carpet to finish off a grey wall.

          I felt someone was staring at me. I bit my lip. I was a guilty of wishful thinking.

         “Hello, Georgina”, he said.

         I knew that voice. That voice was imprinted in my mind. The realization dawned on me, like a sunrise that washed off the darkness of the night. I blinked twice and turned around.

          “You.” I said, more of an acceptance of the fact than incredulity, nearly choking on my words.

         His voice was direct, his words like stabs at my invisible shield. “Georgina Fideliz, we meet again.” Every word seemed a slap on the face, a challenge. Isn’t it only natural to challenge the one who made a fool out of you?

          I must have looked like a cadaver on a CSI slab, my lips white and my mouth hanging open. “I thought you didn’t recognize me yesterday. “ My voice took on a Demi Moore, deeper, phlegm stuck in my throat mode. The gap between us was so palpable I could almost rip it with my hands. The years disappeared and there I was, with the man I never thought I would see again. First we literally bumped into each other. Now this.

         For some reason fate had started to annoy me.

         “  I recognized your name but you looked so different. ” He walked towards the window on my right, his slow pace felt as if he was encircling me, like a tiger ready to pounce.

         “Why didn’t you say something? What are you doing here…I …”  my puzzlement was evident but he didn’t rescue me from my confusion. “ Don’t tell me, you’re the new boss.”

           He didn’t have to answer. His smug face told me everything. The sudden rush of warm light from the window which he opened with one swift motion broke his silence. Ian’s silhouette was etched on the landscape, and somehow, it made me remember the last time I saw him years ago.

           “ I make sure that I know my staff. So I looked at the list. I tried to make the connection.Then I knew who you were,” he said. He came closer. Now that I had a closer look, I saw that his jaw had hardened, his tan skin more pronounced. He no longer had the boyish charm he once exuded every time he smiled. Of course I had never seen him smile once now. If anything, he sounded sarcastic. His face looked hardened by experience. Sadness?  I assumed he was broken hearted ten years ago.

           “It had been ten years,” I said. His gaze moved and we found each other’s eyes. In a split second time halted. I was afraid he would read my mind. At the thought of that a smile crept into my face.

            “Would you like to share your thoughts? Tell me about yourself, Georgina. What have you been up to?”

           “ I graduated high school and college. Eventually worked here. Nothing much to tell. And you? “

            “You changed. I hardly recognized you,” he said.

            “Is that good or bad?” I said for nothing better to say.

           “ You used to be …” he was motioning me to sit down.

           “Chubby?” I said as I sat down on the chair.

           “ Now, you’re…” he was waving his hand, making a curving shape.

            I felt my face burn at the insinuation. I was taking pleasure (with guilt?) at the idea he found me the least bit attractive. 

            He stood there at the side of the window, grey shadows masking his face. I could feel the penetrating gaze that pierced through the space between us. Everything else was insignificant.

          He started going towards me and caught my arm. I could feel his firm hold on the concave of my arm.

         “What are you doing?” my voice was a mere whisper. I could feel his hold on me, drawing me to him, until his face was next to mine. His breath was warm on my cheeks.

          “I’m just trying to size up the competition.”

          “What competition? You got the job.” I said, irked.

           “Well, of course you want this job, but you have to prove that you’re really capable.” He released my arm.

            “ I am capable. Perhaps you haven’t heard, I won an international writing contest, and a trip to Southeast Asia.” I regretted the words as soon as they left my lips. I had never sounded so pathetic and laughable.

            “So I have to watch my back then.”

           “You know, I’m not challenging you to anything. Not a duel or a showdown or a debate for that matter. Just leave me be.”

           “Whatever happened to that feisty little Georgie girl?”

          “If you’ve noticed, like what you have just insinuated, I’m not a girl anymore.  And my name is Georgina, only my brother calls me that.”

          For a while he was quiet. His sudden change of expression told me it was time to go.

                       “ Are we done?” I said and turned to leave. At that moment I was ready to tender my resignation. My boss didn’t like me.

          “ Georgina, I still have to extract my pound of flesh,” he said, a strange smile forming on his lips.

        I stopped on my tracks when he said that. Whatever did he mean?  Did he mean because I messed up his relationship years ago?

       Well he didn’t know that. Did he? If only I knew what went on in that flawlessly shaped, handsome head of his.