Chapter 5

Here and Now

         It had been ten years since Ian left the Philippines and gone to New York. Now he was back as the Editor-in-Chief of Elite Travels. He used to be chief copy editor at one of the most prestigious advertising companies in the U.S.A., and he wrote a couple of books on the field. He made a name for himself in that part of the world.

         The Elite staff steered clear of Ian the first few days. But as the days wore on they had bonded and were soon on a first name basis with him. He did not display any superiority or distance. It was different with the two of us.

        After our first encounter in his office, Ian and I avoided each other. Whenever we had the weekly meeting he would evade my eyes as if we were strangers.

      “ There would be no drastic changes in Elite Travels. Just continue your work like before. I would appreciate well researched articles. If you have any new angles on old stories, so much the better,” he said on the first meetings. “ So next month, Ms. Fideliz, you will go to Macau for the grand opening of that Filipino restaurant-”

        “Bahay Fiesta”, somebody said.

       “ Yes, and on Saturday, everyone is requested to attend our tribute party for the late Chief Editor Mr. Robert Quinto. It’s a formal affair in Solaire Hotel.”

         The days became normal, for me at least as he was not really hard to work with. He gave us more artistic freedom. Probably because he was young and he liked it edgy when it came to articles.

         And since most of the writers were young, between twenty something and forty, the transition was smooth.

         I didn’t know if it’s just me, but I felt that I was the only one who didn’t get the snug vibes everybody seemed to be having when the Chief was around. I heard from the other staff that he’s not so bad after all.

          Thursday evening, two days before the party, I rummaged in my wardrobe for anything that would suit me.

          I was quickly disappointed at the distressing selection that greeted me when I opened the closet door. Tired old garbs that I had pushed into a corner. The few clothes that I wore for the office do not really make for a formal bash.

          Oh my. What do I do now? I asked myself. My position at Elite may seem glamorous, travel writer/assistant editor, but the extra money I had, I had to spend on extra expenses that were not shouldered by sponsor hotels and resorts.

         Besides, I couldn’t dip into my Paris savings. I’d rather die.

          I saw something at the back of the closet.  I lunged at the jungle of garments. Buried in all those clothes was a little black dress, five inches above the knee, backless, long sleeved, lycra cloth that hugged the body. It was studded by black sequins. Very interesting.

         All it cried for was a black stiletto sling back and we’re good to go.

         Saturday afternoon at the salon, Jessie, my hairstylist/makeup artist friend was doing his magic on my hair. A little up do, dramatic smoky eyes, and a 50s Hollywood blood red lips to finish the ensemble.

          I stood in front of the mirror.

         “Girlash, you are the most beautiful non-homosexual I know. I’m proud of you,” Jessy was a little teary eyed. “The camera will love your neck. You’ll be swanlike in photos. I like that my hairdo makes your neck more graceful.”