Chapter 4

Ten Years Ago

          Our high school auditorium was jam-packed with parents, relatives and friends. The culminating performances were done by graduating students. It was our turn to put on a show but back stage we were all anxious.

         “It’s hard to put these on. Ow, shucks!” My face must have looked pulled in all directions as I eventually maneuvered myself inside a tight leotard and tighter leggings.

           I was in a green costume, surrounded by fairies and men in tights (played by members of the Thespian Club). I was to play Puck of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. This was our last project and we would graduate from high school. Marisyl was Lysander, the lover of Hermia, played by Becca.

          Why I was Puck I understood. My hair was short and I wasn’t tall. I had braces which made me look impish.

          The performance was a hit. Mamu, who wore a bandanna around her head looking like a fortune teller sat at the front row mouthing some indistinct advice, like a coach giving her last minute directions. My mom, dad and Wendell were teary eyed. Or maybe they laughed themselves to tears, I didn’t know.

          “ You were great,” mom held out her arms and hugged me.

          “Did you like it?” I asked my dad, “Come on dad, was it any good?”

          “It’s the best Shakespearean play I have watched.” My dad who didn’t really like plays said.

         At a Thai restaurant, members of the cast along with their parents had a congratulatory dinner. Marisyl, Becca, Chrissy and I went to a curtained cubicle that was like layers of clouds in shimmering splendor.

         “I’m gonna miss you guys,” Chrissy said. We began having emo moments ever since we started the graduation and play practices. We were all lying there, our future ahead of us, wishing for it to begin, and a little apprehensive over what will happen to our friendship.

        “Imagine, our lives are going to change for-ever…” Marisyl said.

       “Promise you would always text me,” Chrissy said.

      “And who told you I’m gonna let you all go?” Becca said, her voice cracking. “You can’t stay away from me. I will e-mail you every day.”  Then they turned their attention on me. “What’s up?”

          I lay on a huge throw pillow and muttered, “He wasn’t there.”

          “Are you thinking of Ian again?” Becca teased me.

         “Who else? That’s why Puck was a little distracted.” Marisyl was reclining on a fuschia colored satin sofa, holding a large drink which threatened to spill all over the place.

         I puckered my lips. “He has a girlfriend.”

      “How did you know?”

     “Well, I met her once and he brought her to the house when he picked up Wendell for a wrestling practice.”

        “Bummer.”

       “I know,” Marisyl was in a rocking mood. She had all the crazy ideas in the world, like hunting tigers in the savannah, hiking up Kota Kinabalu, swimming the depths of Mt. Pinatubo.

“break them up,” she said.

       “Hahaha. What are you saying?”

       “Think of a way to split them up. Like in Bestfriend’s Wedding, you know, you Julia, her Cameron.