𝟏𝟓. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐄

(CHAPTER FIFTEEN : THE DIVINE MOVE)

(CHAPTER FIFTEEN :
THE DIVINE MOVE)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

CAROL LOCKWOOD WAS DEAD. Despite her memorial being a mandatory school event, I didn't attend. It didn't feel my place to, I didn't know the woman — not on a personal level at least. I didn't want to look into my friend's burned out eyes and offer my sympathies on his Mom that I only exchanged conversation with in passing. Perhaps that made me a terrible person because the Mayor was a victim to Klaus like I was, once upon a time. However, come nightfall, I would be on route to New Orleans with Kol and hoped my friends would excuse my lack of attendance when they find out about my problem. Once I was cured, I intended to tell them everything so we could restart on a clean slate.

Legs crossed and finally comfortable on the couch, I was searching for some bad TV show to fill the void of time when I received an unexpected phone call. "Rebekah, this is a surprise. What do I owe the pleasure?" I almost did a double-take at the caller ID.

"Oh, I take it you're not dead yet." She tutted, holding mock concern in her voice. "Thought I'd check you're still breathing, let you know to cancel your flights to New Orleans, the usual . . ." Rebekah listed off, an underlying sense of awareness tugging at the corners of her words.

"This isn't a crisis call centre, get to the point or get off the phone." I remarked, refusing to directly address her comments. From the sounds of it, Kol had told her about the Curse, which didn't settle well with me.

In spite of the fact she had protected me from Klaus in the twenties, she didn't seem to like me in the present because of my association with Elena Gilbert. "Fine, but know denial isn't attractive, Lottie." She hissed. "I called to inform you that I'm borrowing your boyfriend for the day so I'd appreciate if you didn't pop your clogs anytime soon." I didn't jump to deny he was my boyfriend, mainly because I was confused by her British slang. "And I almost forgot, I've got some of your friends held hostage at the library in the high school. You're welcome to join the fun, kisses." The Original mused, ending the call without giving me a chance to retort.

If I could turn back time, I would never have gone to school that day.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

After an intense mental debate, I decided to confront Rebekah at the high school and save my friends. As it turned out, their freedom wasn't negotiable, the entire phone call being part of a plan to lure me into one of the blonde's twisted games. As soon as I entered the library, I was pinned against a book case and compelled into obedience by the Original. She forced me to answer all questions truthfully and insisted she 'wasn't sorry for going after what she wants' when I disputed the meaning of the interrogation.