Chapter 6

It took a lot of persuasion to get onto Du Poitier's land.  The musketeers had thought to call upon the family's grand chateau first as Porthos knew a little about the family and thought it better to obtain permission from Monsieur Du Poitier before searching his land.  Whilst Porthos had never met the man he had heard that he was not of an agreeable disposition and that his five sons shared this temperament.  Thus they found themselves forced to wait outside in a light drizzle of rain as Du Poitier's manservant went to fetch his master.  All four musketeers were slightly on edge, Athos in particular.  Waiting around didn't sit well with him and he let his horse wander the yard  away from the doorway a little as he still sat astride his saddle.  He was watching the countryside that sprawled out towards the horizon from either side of the road they had travelled upon and grew more nervous with every second.  The landscape as presented to him from this vantage point showed no valid hiding places and Athos sincerely hoped that Porthos was right in his theory that the Du Poitier's owned vast amounts of farmland that stretched far beyond the hills that curtained the rear of the chateau. 

He watched as a well-dressed gentleman appeared in the doorway, a defined scowl upon his face.  Athos noted that his friends were not invited in out of the rain and were forced to speak with Du Poitier whilst he stood under the cover of the porch.  Grimacing a little, Athos turned his horse with a nudge of his knee and moved closer.  "If your sons are at home we would need to speak with them," he heard Porthos say as he fell into line beside Aramis. 

Du Poitier shook his head gruffly.  "My sons are not at home.  I'll have you tell me what all of this is about before I even consider letting you roam over all of my land, disturbing my tenants!"

"We don't have much time-" began Porthos but he was silenced with a wave of Du Poitier's hand.  He then motioned for the musketeers to enter the house and turned on his heel.  Athos groaned but D'artagnan, already dismounted and halfway towards the door shrugged his shoulders.

Aramis dismounted beside Athos and whispered to him "Athos we may be completely wrong about the Du Poitiers being involved in all of this.  I don't think we are but we have to be sure.  Better to take shelter in the house for a few minutes and get his permission to search his land, it will make the whole business easier.  We may also procure some vital information from him."

Athos nodded although he still felt uncomfortable wasting time.  He dismounted and followed his friends into a large hallway.  Du Poitier seemed the picture of calm, offering them all a drink and motioning for them to take a seat.  Both offers were declined by the musketeers and Athos rolled his eyes, growing more nervous with every second that passed.  He knew that his friends were not comfortable with waiting either but they seemed to hide it far better than he could in that moment for Aramis gently laid a hand on his shoulder.  Du Poitier had sensed his uneasiness too and for a moment he simply looked around at his four musketeer guests as he sipped his glass of brandy.  Athos noted that it was very early for such a stiff drink if a man had nothing in particular to hide.  He watched their host's hands though, and they seemed steady enough. 

"My son Michael was here last night with his wife but he left this morning.  I expect he wants to return to Paris."  All four men were taken aback by Du Poitier's admittance.

D'artagnan looked confused as leaned forward in his saddle.  "We didn't meet anyone on the road Monsieur!"

"Well I expect not!  They have only just left the house.  They will be saddling their horses and loading their baggage.  My son's wife has quite a lot of it; you know what women and dresses are like.  Not that it's any of your business.  My other sons currently reside in the south with their uncle.  Will you permit me to know what all of this is about?"