Chapter 52

There was no trace of Lyall Fitzgerald anywhere in Paris in the following days. It was with reluctance that the musketeers had to give up their search of him due to their other responsibilities.

Those four escaped prisoners still unaccounted for were political prisoners to say the least. They were both English and Spanish respectively and as such, if they were to return home to their own lands they could cause untold trouble for France and Paris most of all. It was with reluctance therefore that three months after the breakout when a tip-off came their way; the musketeers were forced to make a journey towards Reims in the hopes of finding one of the prisoners hiding out.

A little over a week after they had left Paris, Amorette and Constance received word that the men thought their stay in Reims would be far longer than anticipated, perhaps by even a month or two. With them gone Amorette's court-life took precedence over her personal one and she was left little time to dwell upon the latter. Strangely, she seemed to have fallen back into the Queen's inner circle purely by accident; despite her protests that she no longer wished to be the Queen's spy. It felt somehow right though, to try and build their strained friendship again now that uncertain times lay ahead.

It was also comforting to always be surrounded by people whilst Athos was not there. The little time that Amorette did have at her own disposal was spent in her own rooms and that was certainly when she felt most lost and alone. To finally have some semblance of a relationship with him and to have it stilted every time his duties took him outside Paris was not how Amorette had envisioned it at all, but she resolved to believe that it was far better than how things had been when she had first returned to Paris. To dissolve back into ignorance and bitterness between them both would be the worst kind of torture.

It was with a reserved sort of calm that Amorette congratulated the Queen upon her good news. She was with child again, and already beginning to show the signs physically. Whilst the other ladies of the Queen's court and household rejoiced euphorically and a ball was held in the Queen's honour, Amorette was not able to celebrate as everyone else did. Constance even managed to dispel her own suspicions and carry on as if she did not know of the Queen's secret tryst with Aramis, but Amorette could not do so readily enough. It became too much for Amorette to be within the Queen's enclosed inner circle whilst in the knowledge that Aramis was out there somewhere, not knowing that he could potentially be a father for the second time. There was nothing for Amorette to do though, as she had no wish to question the Queen or dispute any of her reasoning's. In fact, she had resolved to steer herself away from meddling in anyone else's relationships.

Thus Amorette decided that the time had come for a trip into the country again. She had neglected some minor renovation work of her mother's house in Provins for a long time and now seemed the perfect opportunity to leave the city behind her for a time. Finally having the option of providing Léo with some work, Amorette offered him some money in exchange for his services which he greatly accepted. Tilda and Léo were both set to leave with Amorette one blustery January morning when they were met in the courtyard of the Louvre by four musketeers. Walking amongst them was what Amorette supposed must be one of the escaped prisoners. With his hands shackled and his head bowed in defeat, Amorette thought he looked a sorry sight. Clearly he had been driven into the wilderness where he had tried to survive judging by his dishevelled appearance, but it hadn't lasted that long once the musketeers were upon his trail. Everyone turned to stare as he was led into the entrance hall of the Louvre and upstairs.

Amorette didn't doubt that he was being taken straight for an audience with the king and she winced slightly at the thought of the Queen being there. Aramis was an observant man, and he would certainly not miss the slightly larger swell of her breasts and the slightest of bumps that was visible beneath her dress. It would also be apparent in the way that the Queen held herself lately, as if she carried cargo far too precious and sacred. Amorette hoped that the Queen would be absent, for finding such a thing out in front of the King and his advisors would surely cause Aramis great pain and confusion.