Chapter Fifteen: Don't Kill the Messenger

A/N: My latest original romance novel, Winter Jacket: All In—the fourth and final book in the best-selling Winter Jacket series is now available at Amazon!

To celebrate the release of my new novel, I'm offering the first book in the series, Winter Jacket, for FREE on Amazon for a limited time (Friday, May 13th and Saturday, May 14th). Get your free copy now before it's too late!

+ + +

Jade went around the room, quizzing herself on everybody's occupation. She pointed at Lee first. "Teacher." I was next. "Graphic designer."

We stood around the kitchen island, waiting until it was time to get ready for that evening's cocktail reception and rose ceremony. Another week had come and gone, complete with two group dates and two one-on-ones.

Candace provided her own profession: "Sex toy aficionado."

Giggles bubbled up at Candace's pronouncement. My roommate had been in a bad mood earlier in the week--the realities of the game starting to wear on her--but she seemed to be back to her usual good humored, sarcastic self.

Jade continued, determined to make the rounds.  "Stephie's a chef. Obviously." She stuck her tongue out. "My waistband's been feeling a little snug, thanks to you."

"Busted." Stephie broadly grinned. "You've discovered my strategy: make you all fat so Jacob picks me."

Stephie was always in a good mood, but her grin seemed even larger than usual that evening. She'd been one of the two women who'd gotten a one-on-one that week, and she'd returned to the Orcas Island house with hearts in her eyes and most importantly--a rose.

"Samantha's a dancer," Jade continued. "Irene is a radio DJ, and Brittany is a beautician." She paused and her eyes squinted in thought. "Does anyone know what Patience does?"

"Besides steal the souls of children?" I immediately covered my mouth with my hand.

Oops. I hadn't meant to say that out loud.

"Dang, girl," Candace remarked, giving me a sideways glance. "That got dark fast."

I could feel my face grow hot, and I dropped my eyes to the kitchen counter top. "We got off on the wrong foot," I explained. "I'm sure she's a nice person once you get to know her."

I lied to save face in front of the other women. I had no intention of getting to know Patience. The less time spent in her presence, the better.

"We should probably get ready for the cocktail party," Candace announced. She snagged my arm. "Nokomis, come help me with my hair."

A quiet murmur of agreement rippled across the group, and we all retired to our respective rooms to get ready for the night.

Candace pounced on me the moment she shut the bedroom door. "You've got to cool it out there."

I threw my hands up. "I know! It was an accident."

"You need to be careful who hears you bad mouthing Patience."

"I know, I know. Don't let Jacob know."

"That, yes, but you also don't want word getting back to Patience that you've got beef with her."

"Why?" I snorted. "Is she going to want to fight me?"

Candace arched an eyebrow. "You don't have a lot of girl friends back home, do you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I huffed.

"Girls don't brawl, Princess. They get even. All it would take is some scissors to your favorite dress or, God forbid, your hair."