Epilogue

"Relax, baby," she murmured into my ear. "You've done this all before."

"Yeah, but never in front of an audience," I stubbornly grumbled.

She intertwined our fingers and brought our conjoined hands up to her lips. "Imagine them in their underwear, right?"

I could feel her sweet breath, warm on the back of my knuckles. "You're the only one I wanna see in their underwear."

"Charmer," she teased. She leaned little closer. "Later. I promise."

"Attention, ladies!" a man with a clipboard and headset bellowed. "We're about to begin."

Next to me, Lee sat up straighter in her seat, always Teacher's Pet.

It had taken convincing to get me to Los Angeles for a reunion show. I was content to live the rest of my life out of the limelight, especially now that I had Lee by my side, but she superstitiously believed she had bad karma to atone for. Attending the live taping would assuage some of her residual guilt for remaining on the show through the finale.

At the center of the studio, which resembled a theater in the round setup, sat the show's host. He was flanked by a hairstylist and makeup artist who skirted offstage just as the main cameras blinked red.

"Welcome everyone, to a very special reunion. Over the next hour we'll have the opportunity to revisit highlights from this season and to catch up with all of your fan favorites and villains." He paused and turned in his chair to address a different camera. "But before we talk with the women, help me in joining our single guy—who I hear won't be single for much longer—Jacob!"

Jacob sat stiffly on a couch adjacent to the program's host. He looked as handsome as ever in a metallic blue suit. I hadn't had the opportunity to speak with him prior to the taping, and I knew Lee was anxious to talk to him as well. I felt Lee shift on the padded bench beside me. She had been focusing so much on making me feel comfortable, I'd nearly overlooked how much this reunion might affect her. I set my hand on her bare knee and smiled in her direction. She rested her hand on top of mine and smiled tightly.

"It's great to see you, Jacob," the host cordially greeted. "You're looking well."

"Thanks. It's good to be back. Almost like I never left."

"I understand that you've been keeping busy since the finale aired."

Jacob nodded. "I was really overwhelmed by all of the media attention I received after the show aired. It felt like everyone wanted to talk to the only guy ever dumped on national television." He laughed with self-depreciating humor. "But after that died down, I went back to Denver and tried to get back to my old life."

"And a certain woman who was part of that old life," the host led.

"It's true," Jacob confirmed. He smiled as he continued. "After I was on the show, I looked up my old girlfriend, Holly. I wanted to make it work this time around. And luckily for me, she wanted the exact same thing."

The host turned to the studio audience. "And as a special treat, Holly is here today!"

The audience of mostly women erupted in enthusiastic cheers as a pretty brunette in a cute sundress stepped onstage. She stopped to wave at the live audience before walking center stage where Jacob and the host waited.

Jacob stood to greet his girlfriend. He wrapped one arm around her waist while the other cradled her head as he dipped her backwards for a long kiss.

The audience cooed and cheered on the new couple.

"I'm glad everything worked out," the host said in earnest once the applause died down.

"And now let's catch up with what became the surprise couple on this show," the host continued, "Lee McCutchen and Nokomis Reed."