Chapter Eighteen: Swept Away

A little shorter than usual this week because of where I had to end the chapter, but I'll make up for it next week.

+ + +

Lee paused in the middle of the trail. "Do you hear that?" she asked. "It sounds like water."

"Well, we are on an island," I pointed out.

"You hear that though, right?" Lee asked. "I'm not going crazy, am I?"

"Maybe," I mumbled vaguely.

I hadn't heard it, actually. I'd been too mesmerized by the rhythmic back and forth of Lee's hips and backside as she led me deeper into the jungle and farther away from civilization. It was more than geography, though. The more time we spent together, the harder I fell for her, and the more I became distracted and disinterested in the person with whom I was supposed to fall in love—Jacob.

"It sounds like it's coming from over here," she thought aloud.

I continued to follow her lead, but I kept one eye on the horizon, a narrow glimpse of the deep blue ocean beyond the dense jungle. It was the one thing that would help us find our way back. Lee herself ventured deeper into the jungle, seemingly unaware or unconcerned if we ever found our way back to the beach. But was I willing to let myself get lost with Lee? It was a multi-layered question with no easy answer.

The forest became thicker until it opened up to reveal the source of the water sound—a short waterfall that cascaded into a natural lagoon filled with emerald green water. With no canopy of leaves for shade, the hot sun beat down on the grey rocks, warming them with its rays. Misting water formed a rainbow at the base where the falling water hit the standing pool.

Lee kicked off her gladiator sandals. Her hands went to unfasten the top button on her jean shorts, and I cast my eyes to the ground. "Are you coming in?" she asked.

I dug my big toe into the dusty earth. "I'm not wearing a bathing suit."

"Neither am I," she said, "but I never could understand why bikinis are acceptable, but bras and panties are taboo."

I looked back up just in time to see her shorts drop past her knees and hit the ground. Her t-shirt was long enough that it hit the tops of her thighs. She grabbed the bottom hem of her shirt and lifted it up—just like in my dream. Only unlike in my dream, she wasn't straddling my lap.

She took the time to fold her t-shirt and shorts and set them on a flat boulder where they wouldn't get wet. I tried to look elsewhere except in her direction to avoid gawking at her exposed lean body and her matching pale blue bra and underwear.

Lee dipped a cautious toe into the placid water and, apparently finding it to her satisfaction, she lowered herself into the lagoon. "It's warm!" she exclaimed.

"Must be from all that fish pee," I awkwardly cracked.

"Get in here, Noko," she beckoned.

I lingered near the water's edge and peered warily into the lagoon. "I'm fine right here," I insisted.

"Don't tell me Big Brave Nokomis is scared of what might be in the water?" she teased.

"Scared?" I snorted. "I'm not the one who's afraid of a little lizard."

I could handle bugs and bats and creepy crawlers. But when it came to a half-naked, and wet Lee ... I was terrified.

Lee's blonde head disappeared under the water before resurfacing a few feet away. She pushed her wet hair out of her face, and waved to me where I stood at the edge of the natural pool. "Come on, Noko!" She skipped her hands across the water's surface. "We deserve a little adventure."