Chapter Three

The elevator dinged open again, and Emma walked out. She didn't turn to see if Matt followed her. A part of her wanted him to be behind her when she unlocked her hotel room door, but a deeper part hoped he came to his senses, got back on the elevator, and left the hotel. She slid the cardkey into the lock and listened for the faint click before pushing at the door.

"I haven't changed my mind."

Her heart came to life as the low rumble of his fever-filled voice washed over her. The clean scent of the rain issuing from him raced through her when he leaned closer. His damp arms circled around her waist as the wet length of him pressed rough into her back. He growled out her name and pressed the tip of the forgotten umbrella against the wood. The door swung open all the way, and he pushed her inside, kicking it shut with his foot. He dropped the umbrella and backed her to the foot of the bed.

"I want you too much to do that."

He stared at her with a look filled with sadness and guilt...and burning hot with desire. Or was the heat the result of his fever? She didn't know. She didn't really care.

"I want just this one night, Emmie," he growled. "I want to touch you, to feel you. I want to love you."

"I'm not changing my mind either, Matt." She placed her hand flat on his damp chest. His heart beat solid and quick under her palm. "I want that too."

"Are you sure?"

Yes, Emma was sure. She'd hoped this exact thing would happen when she first found she would be going to an abuse conference in Columbus with Bob and Alice. She'd known through the many counseling sessions with Matt that he grew up near the area and that he'd met his wife at OhioState. That's why she'd told him about the conference in the first place.

She wanted him to follow her here.

"Things will change between us, Emmie."

Guilt raced quick within her, but she pushed it aside. She didn't want to think of the outcome now. Tomorrow would be soon enough for that. Now all she wanted was to get him out of his wet clothes and warmed up.

"You're coat is dripping all over the carpet."

His eyes widened in surprise for only a second before he shrugged out of his raincoat.

"Let me have it," she said. "I'll put it in the bathroom and bring back a towel."

She didn't wait for a response. Instead, she grabbed the wet coat from him and raced into the bathroom. Hanging the coat in the shower, she pulled one of the fresh, clean towels from the wire rack and returned to the bedroom. She stopped and pulled in a quick breath at the sight of his bare back. His wide shoulders smoothed down into a firm back ending in lean hips and long legs. His wet jeans formed over a strong ass, plastered against the length of his leg, laying heavy on his bare feet.

Her mouth watered at the sight of him.

Matt turned then and froze. She could hear the harsh intake of his breath in the sudden quietness of the room. His chest rose and fell as he fought to control his breathing. Her heart hammered in rhythm with the movement as her fingers curled around the harsh white towel.

The towel.

"I'll dry you."

"Yes."

Emma flipped the towel and moved toward him. She shivered as she neared him, feeling wet warmth dampen her panties. Anticipation tingled through her. The towel shook when she placed it on his shoulders. She swallowed and rubbed the material along his wide shoulders and down his well-toned arms. When she reached his fingers, she moved the towel toward his lower abdomen and dried slowly up his smooth chest to his throat. She felt the movement of his swallow.