Winter Solstice

Late that night, I was lying on the roof of one of the buildings, watching the stars.  Thinking about my next move.

    "I've found the Avatar, now all I have to do is convince him to help my people," I thought, "But how do I explain it to him, and when?  Right now Aang needs to get to the Fire Temple in the Fire Nation.  I can help him get in, but what do I do after that?"

    "Let's go Appa, come on!" I heard a voice say.

    I got up and saw Aang tugging on Appa's reins, trying to get him to leave.

    "Aang?" I wondered, "What's he doing?"

    "Look, I'm sorry," apologized Aang, "But Katara and Sokka aren't coming to the Fire Nation with us.  If they got hurt I'd never forgive myself.  So get your big butt off the ground and lets go!"

    "I think his big butt is trying to tell ya something," said Sokka as he, Katara and the rest of the villagers walked out of the main hall.

    "Please don't go Aang," begged Katara, "The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation, and neither can I."

    "But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means," argued Aang, "I need to get to the Fire Temple, before the sun sets on the solstice and that's today."

    "We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation Aang," said Katara.

    "At least not without your friends," finished Sokka, "We got your back."

    Then Appa gave Sokka a big lick as if to thank him, but Sokka didn't appreciate it as much, "Ewww!"

    "Mind if I tag along?" I asked jumping down from the building.

    "Hikaru?" asked Aang.

    "You want to come with us?" asked Katara.

    "Why not?" I asked, "I owe the Avatar for helping this village and besides, I know that island better than the three of you."

    "Wait are you telling me you've been to that island before?" asked Sokka.

    "Course," I said with a smirk, "In fact, I know someone who can help us once we're inside."

    "Are you sure?" asked Katara, "It'll be dangerous."

    "I can hold my own in fight," I said clumsily climbing aboard Appa, "Trust me, you'll need me on this one."

    "It's a long journey to the crescent island," said the Leader, "You'll have to fly fast, if you have any chance of making it before sun down.  Good luck."

    "Thank you for all your---" started Aang.

    "GO!" shouted the Leader and Appa took us into the air.

    "So it begins," I thought as we made our way to the Fire Temple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    As the sun began to rise, we were approaching the Fire Nation border. 

    "Come on boy we've got a long way to go," urged Aang to Appa, "Let's go!"

    As we grew closer I could smell smoke, but couldn't tell where it was coming from.

    "Aang we've got trouble," called Katara.

    "Yeah, and it's gaining fast," added Sokka.

    I looked in the ocean behind us and saw a small Fire Nation ship gain speed to catch us.