Chapter Two - Meeting SkyLar

1:10, the time read. I had about 40 minutes before the end of lunch and I planned to make good use of every second of it. I made my way inconspicuously through the half-deserted corridors. This was my second year at Globa and everything was going swimmingly. I stopped abruptly in front of my next class, Maths and stepped inside. Just as I suspected, it was empty. I sat down where I usually do, the second seat from the left in the second row, and collapsed into the chair.

The voice cleared their throat. At least that's the sound I heard; I didn't think they had a throat. "SkyLar, Dianne and Violette," it continued, "are Persona names." I was confused. "Huh?" I didn't understand. "I am SkyLar," the voice said calmly. "Before you can butt in," it continued, "let me explain." I gave in. "You, Danae Mackenzie, are a special girl. I hope you know that." SkyLar paused, but she didn't give me enough time to say a word. "You have an ability that is very rare to humankind. It is called 'Persona'." SkyLar spoke faster. "There isn't much time left. I am available all the time. Just summon me. Goodbye Danae."

Then my thoughts fell back into place. I hadn't even noticed that they had scattered to make room for the strange presence that called itself SkyLar. I checked my watch one more time. 1:43. I practically tripped over my feet as I raced towards my locker to grab my books. I stopped like I hit a wall when I saw her. Right in front of my face. Dana. She glared at me and then her expression melted. "I -----------" she started. "Not now!" I told her loudly. "It's almost time for class!! Later!" I rushed off, leaving a confused Dana behind.

**********************************************

Afterschool, I sat alone in the courtyard in the front of the school where most people meet to talk or couples hang out together. This is one of those places where I could clear my mind. There were so little places where my mind was at peace. My mind was full to almost bursting. I just looked at my Converse and felt a chill. I had left my cardigan inside, along with my bag. The sleeves of my dress were short and I shivered.

I jumped off my perch and hurried inside. My locker number was D13, so I walked down the heated halls until I happened upon my locker. Who was there but Dana, holding my black cardi, apparently waiting for me? "H-Hi," she breathed. She looked away abashed. I held my hand out as if to say Give me my cardigan. She seemed to understand and hastily handed it over. "Umm Danae, I'm sorry for shouting at you." I looked at her like Try harder. She gulped when she saw I wasn't impressed. "Danae~~~~~~ Come on~~~~~ Forgive meee~~~~~" She gave me puppy eyes and pouty lips. It never works on me but I relented.

"Fine," I said in a final tone. She smiled at me, relieved. "I have to go. Tomorrow, Dana." I walked off into the courtyard. I climbed up to my perch and sat there for a while. I watched as people left the school, some people in pairs, alone or others in groups of three. I had many recurring thoughts. What is Persona? Why do I have it? Who is SkyLar? As these thoughts keep rising to the surface, I repeatedly had no answers.

'Just summon me' were her last words to me. I craved to know more about what was happening in my head. I no longer felt complete; like some distant part of me was dormant. Maybe she was right. Maybe she actually is part of me. The sun was setting and ending this complicated mid-winter's day. I dropped down from my perch, landing with perfect finesse and walked right out of the school gates.

When I arrived at home, all I wanted to do was go to my room and try and clear my head. "Danae, come here!" Thwarted by Mother. Rats. "Coming mother!" I tiredly trudged into the kitchen and stood before my mother. Her auburn hair was tied in a chignon behind her head, her grey eyes were bright and her smile was no longer limp. The burden seemed to be miraculously lifted off my shoulders which was good: I hated to see my mother in such a state. She was holding a bag full of only God knows what and was looking at me intently. I winced. She beamed.

"Danae, before you start rattling on about how much you don't want to do whatever I'm about to ask you to do," she began as I smirked, "I bought you some new stuff I thought you might like to, you know, decorate your room with." I grinned like the Cheshire cat. I grabbed the bag like my life depended on it and bear hugged my mum. "Thanks Mum!" I shouted as I ran up the stairs half tripping over my own feet. What a distraction, I thought.

I plonked down on my bed and ripped the big bag open. It was full of new mauve curtains, a lavender rug, a checked violet beanbag and a new bed set. I squealed in delight. Straightaway, I set off. I hung my curtains and tossed the old ones in the bag. I rolled up my old dusty indigo carpet from my reading corner and laid out the new one. I inhaled. Ah. New stuff smell. I threw the beanbag into the reading corner and flopped right onto it. I sighed as I sunk into it. I flipped right back up. I tottered, dizzy. I laid my bed and I fell onto it.

The sheets were soft and smooth, my pillows as soft as ever. And then I returned. SkyLar. Damn. I can't escape this, can I? I can't help but wonder. And then, just like that, SkyLar's voice rang out in my head. "Can't stop think about me, can you Danae?" I smiled happily. "SkyLar. The voice of the hour." I could feel her beam right in my head. "Danae, I know you still have many questions," she said. Damn right I do. "So let me answer one. The most important one." SkyLar paused. "Okay........ There is something that you haven't thought of," How the hell would she know that? "But is more important than anything you could have asked me."

"What is it, SkyLar?" I inquired. I heard her sigh. "I'm going to teach you how to transform into me."