I

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

Escaping can be easy. Especially if the adults are too busy with five and six year old girls screaming to notice me slipping away.

My dad has forced me to take Lily, my little sister, to her friend's birthday party when he realized that I would be home alone. Libby, my best friend, has also forced me to go since she nor our friend, Carson, could keep an eye on me either.

The first mistake in this situation is driving me insane in their company. So insane that I devised a getaway plan from the them.

The second mistake is trusting me. Trusting me to stay at a birthday party for little kids. Trusting that I would obey them and stay at the venue.

Well, they're wrong.

Two months ago, maybe I would have stayed. But, after what happened during the summer, I cannot recall a time when I'm not with them.

So when I dropped Lily off, and made her swear not to tell Dad, I drove across the street to the movie theater.

Maybe it's not the best idea to be so close to the party. But it's one of the easiest places to go without running into someone who would rat me out. I would be in the dark majority of the time with people focusing on the motion picture rather than a girl who disobeyed her parental unit.

"One ticket to see The Dead End," I say to the depressing looking woman in the booth.

"Identification, please," she duly says.

"Shit," I mumble as I fish my ID out.

"You have to be at least seventeen to buy tickets to this movie," the lady says as she hands my ID back.

"But I'll be seventeen in less than a month! Cut me some slack!" I exclaim.

"It's regulations," the woman shrugs, clearly not caring.

I stand there trying to think of a plan.

That movie is the one I counted to see. I have no back up movie.

Plus, there's no way I can just leave. Lily is across the street. Although, I could just spend two hours there with screaming kids and frantic moms.

Before I realize it, someone cuts in front of me.

"Hey - " but I'm cut off by the guy's polite tone.

"Sorry. She meant two. Here's my ID," he tells the lady as he slides his ID and cash towards her.

"Enjoy," she says.

"You didn't have to do that," I say as the guy and I step out of line.

"You were holding up the line. Besides, it's not a problem," he says as we enter the theater.

"Well, I have to pay you back now," I say as I begin to search for my wallet.

"Your company is payment enough," the guy says.

"Did you want to watch this movie?" I ask.

"Popcorn?" he asks as we walk up to the concession stand.

I nod.

"Large popcorn, please," he orders.

"Wait. Let me pay," I say as I slap my crumpled money on the counter.

He smiles and shakes his head as he slides the money back to me. He puts his own money in the place of mine.

"Thank you," he tells the girl as he grabs the popcorn.

"You are too nice. You could have let me pay for the popcorn.  Look, I bet you didn't even want to watch this movie," I say.

"Well, thank you, and you're right. This wasn't my first choice of movie, but I didn't want to watch Last Fight again."

"Ugh," I say with an eyeroll. I hate that movie with a passion. "Well, I'm Emery."

"Andy."

"Well, Andy, I appreciate everything, but please let me pay you back. My pride won't let it go," I beg.

He chuckles with a shake of his head. "Fine. Since your pride is hurt, you can pay me back."

I pause at a bench to rummage through my bag for some cash.

"Emery?" I hear a familiar voice say.

I freeze. That voice. The one that used to take pain away, give me comfort, made me laugh. Now, it saddens me.

"H-hi, Jake," I stutter as I look up from my bag.

"How are you?" my ex-boyfriend says.

Is this a trick question? After everything? Really?

"Um it'll be okay," I manage to get out.

"Hi, I'm Andy," he says as he sticks out his hand for Jake to shake.

"Jake."

Jake pauses after they shake hands to examine Andy.

"Em, I see you're actually doing well," he says, motioning towards Andy.

"Oh n-" but I'm cut off again.

"Yeah. She is," Andy says as his arm snakes around my waist.

"Oh I - yea -" I'm unable to form any sentences.

"It's our first date. That's why she's so nervous," he explains as I continue to stutter away.

"Well." Jake pauses, and looks at Andy again and back at me. "See you later."

The two of us watch as he exits the building with his friends.

"You didn't have to do that," I mumble as I push his arm off of me.

"You looked like you needed it," Andy says with an eyebrow raised.

I did. Thank you. I want to say.

"Let's just go watch the stupid movie," I mumble instead as I pull him towards the room.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲