03. mr. googly

Even though I'm still under my parents' roof, I'm 16. I'm not a kid anymore. I will find Maya, under any circumstances, period.
But I had to act fast. There was no time to fold my hands like so, become a bunny farmer, or skip in the meadows. I can't do all those things without Maya.
I locked the door of my room and put a chair beneath the knob, so my parents won't have a chance to find out my plans. I even locked the bay window.
Grabbing my phone, I dialed Farkle's number.
"It's Farkle," said Farkle on the other end of the line. "Whaddya' need?"
My voice cracked. Whispering, "I need to run away. I need you to drive me to your house. Something's up," I say, clutching the letter. I press the phone against my shoulder as I stuff all my clothes into my luggage.
Was I really going to do this?
"Run away? Riley, I don't know if I can help you with that..." Farkle stuttered.
"Farkle, please. Maya needs me." I protest. I can tell that my reasoning worked, because there is a silence on the line.
"For Maya." He said. "I'll pick you up at 8. It has to be dark for this to work."
"Okay. See you then," I say. "Thank you."
I end the call and continue packing.
Clothes? Check.
Shoes? Check.
Toothbrush?
Not check. They're in the bathroom, which is all the way down the hall. I can't risk my parents seeing my luggage, and there's nowhere to hide it.
I push away the thought of smelly breath and yellow teeth and just plan to ask for one at Farkle's.
-
7:59 PM.
I hear Farkle's car pulling over, and I drag my luggage down the hall ever so carefully, hoping not to make any sound, even the slightest. My parents have to assume I'm home.
"Where are you going, Riley?" A voice of a young boy asks.
Crap.
When I turn, I see my little brother, Auggie. He's cuddling Mr. Googly, his favorite toy, and his curly brown hair is messy.
"I'm going to Farkle's place." I say, and it's partially true.
"Why?" Auggie asks.
"Nothing. Just don't tell Mommy and Daddy, and I'll get you a toy. Deal?" I ask.
Auggie rubs his chin like he's deciding whether or not to take up my offer.
Obviously, he accepts, because he extends his hand, and his little voice says, "Deal."
I smile and pull my luggage to the door.
"How long will you be gone?" Auggie asks.
A lump forms in my throat. I don't know.
"Not very long." I say, not turning around.
-
"So what happened?" Farkle asks as he drives to his house. He lives 15 minutes away from my apartment. I'm sitting shotgun in his Bentley (yes, Bentley. His dad owns a big ass company).
"I got something from Maya. At least I assume it's from Maya." I say. "It tells me that I have to do 6 Maya-inspired things to get her back. And being me, I believe it."
"'Maya-inspired things'? That's never good." He chuckles, turning right.
"But what if it's true, Farkle?" I say.
"Hope's for suckers." He laughs, quoting Maya.
We don't talk the rest of the way, because we're scared of what comes ahead. We can't plan for the future, the future plans for us. Maya taught us that. We never listened to her about it. But now that she's gone, it's our new lifestyle.
"Here we are," says Farkle, and leads me into the big building he lives in. I follow him in, and we get on an elevator that takes us up to Farkle's penthouse.
The first thing I see is Farkle's room, and I see a pearl necklace on the ground.
"It was..." Farkle says, his voice lowering.
"I know. I was there."
We're referring to when Lucas, Maya and I first came over. It was a day before Maya left. I remember Farkle calling me and telling me that he didn't want the maid to clean it up. God, he's a sentimental freak. But I can't blame him, because I am, too.
"You can sleep in my bed if you want. I'll just sleep in my parents' room. They're on a big business trip." He says, taking his pillow.
I didn't want that, honestly. I wanted him to be next to me tonight. I can't be alone. All I wanted tonight was to be in his embrace.
"Actually... Farkle?" I say.
"Yeah?" He looks at me.
"I'd actually preferred if you stayed with me tonight." I say awkwardly.
Farkle's face lights up. "If that's what you want." he says.
The rest of the night, we sleep beside each other. (No, not with each other. Beside each other. Don't think that way.) In the middle of the night, I noticed he hugged me in his sleep, pulling me close, but I didn't mind.

"Good morning, sleepy head." I say, standing over him. When he doesn't wake up, I playfully slap him with his pillow.
"Morning." He groans, still asleep.
I smile. "Did you have a good sleep?"
Farkle smiles. "The best with you."
"Me too."
Farkle gets up and sighs.
He looks at the list.
"So. Let's do this."