"Baby" (Prince/Aya)

I opened the door to our house and was met by the enticing smell of dinner. Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti habang sinusundan 'yong amoy papunta sa kitchen namin. I paused by the arched doorway and watched my pregnant wife in one of my old shirts and her faded shorts while she tasted her own cooking. A little bit of her tummy was exposed as she tip-toed and reached for the fish sauce. I resisted the urge to walk over and pick her up. Sobrang cute ng lips niya na naka-pout habang inaabot ang bote ng patis.

"Bad ka patis," she grumbled softly bago bumaling sa counter at kumuha ng upuan. Pumasok na ako at niyakap siya galing sa likod. Baka mamaya ay mahigh-blood pa ang baby ko. Masama iyon lalo na at buntis siya. Medyo nag-wo-worry nga ako kasi hindi naman masyadong nadadagdagan ang timbang niya kahit four months na ang tiyan niya. 

"A, andito ka na? Di pa luto ang ulam." Ungot niya. She pushed my face away when I tried to kiss her. "Wag mo 'ko i-kiss, amoy ulam na 'ko!"

"Mmm, sarap." Hindi ko siya pinansin at lalong siniil ng halik. "Amoy-baby ka pa rin naman a."

"Prince!" saway niya. "Hala ka kumukulo na! Alis!" she shooed me away. Napakamot ako ng ulo habang inaabot sa kaniya ang patis gamit ang kabila kong kamay.

"Asan pala si Gela?" I asked. Hindi ko nakita ang katulong pagpasok ko. Ngumuso si Aya.

"Nakipag-away 'yong anak niya sa school kaya maagang umuwi." Hindi stay-in ang katulong namin. Usually ay hanggang 7PM lang ito kaya inaagahan ko palagi ang uwi. Hirap kaming makahanap ng katulong na stay-in. Ayaw pa naman ni Aya ang nag-iisa sa bahay. 

"Palit lang muna ako baby." I dropped a kiss on her hair habang tinitimplahan niya ang ulam. I went to our bedroom and took a quick shower. Pagbalik ko sa kusina ay tapos nang magluto ang asawa ko. 

"Ako na diyan." I slid my arms around her waist and dropped a kiss on an exposed shoulder. Tiny beads of sweat were on her nose and upper lip. I took the plates from her hands before I released her.

"Okay, bibilisan ko!" she called out to me bago nagmamadaling tumakbo papuntang kuwarto.

"Be careful!" Nakita kong muntik pa siyang madapa sa pagmamadali. Hay, minsan talaga parang bata pa rin ang baby ko kahit magiging mommy na. I made quick work of setting the table. Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti thinking how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this: a simple, quiet evening with my wife, eating dinner she cooked while sharing how our day had been.

"Kain na tayo," she announced happily. I pulled out her chair for her. Napapalatak ako nang makita kong hindi na naman siya nakasuot ng slippers.

"Baby, di ba sabi ko mag-slippers ka lagi? Hindi carpeted dito sa dining." She pouted at me.

"Di ako sanay,"she whined. "Saan ka pupunta?" I went to the foot of the stairs where I know she always leaves her slippers. Tumalungko ako sa harap niya at isinuot ang tsinelas niya sa paa. I got to my seat and we said grace bago nagsimulang kumain.  

Pagkatapos kumain ay sabay kaming naghugas ng pinggan. I checked the late night news while she read a book beside me. 

"Do you want to drink some hot choco, baby?" I asked her while I turned off the tv. Saglit siyang nag-inat while nodding. I went to the kitchen and prepared two mugs. Pagbalik ko sa sala ay wala siya.

"Aya? Baby?"

"Here." I turned to the open door of the veranda. I went out and saw her sitting on the moon-shaped wicker swing that Adam and I installed. She looked so peaceful with her legs tucked under her and her sleep shirt over her knees. She moved a little bit and I sat down beside her before giving her mug. She sipped the hot choco before leaning against me and tucking her head under my chin.

"Puwede ba ako umuwi sa amin bukas?" she murmured while her fingers played with the hem of my shirt.

"Why?"

"Nakaka-bore kasi dito pag kami lang ni Gela. Na-mi-miss ko na sila Mama at Yaya Maring saka gusto ko makita sila Ate Ria at 'yong twins."

"Sunduin kita?" 

She nodded. I wrapped my arms around her slender frame. She still looks as perfect as the first time I saw her. No, I think she is more blooming now. The beautiful girl-child has become a woman in my arms. Motherhood suits her.

"Prince..." ungot niya.

"Yes, baby?" I stroked her hair away from her face. 

"Kaya ko kayang maging mommy?" I looked down and saw her biting her lip. "Di pa ako ganoon kagaling magluto and I don't know if I can take care of the baby by myself."

"Baby, andito naman ako e. Aalagaan ko kayo." I slid my hand inside her shirt and stroked her stomach. She sighed against me. "Kung si Red nga at Aidan nakaya ang twins, ikaw pa kaya?"

"Hala, paano kapag twins din ang baby natin?" She looked up to me with alarm in her eyes.

I laughed. "E, di twice the fun." I kissed her nose like how I wanted to kiss her worries away. "I hope he or she will be as sweet as you."

"I hope he or she will be as caring as you." She reached up and kissed my lips. "I love you, Prince ko." I can't help but feel a little scared too. Magiging parent na ako. I'd have to work twice as hard for my family. Aya sighed against my chest. I drank the rest of my hot chocolate and placed the mug away. 

"We can do this together, baby. Yes, it can be a little scary pero it can also be very exciting." She looked up and smiled at me. I wiped the side of her lips where a little bit of chocolate was clinging to. "Tignan mo nga si Red. If anybody is as clueless about motherhood it would be her, but she and Kuya Aidan seem to be fine."

She giggled. "Akala mo lang 'yon. Tinatawagan kaya ako ni Kuya Aidan lagi lalo na kapag nagkukulong si Ate Red sa banyo. The first time they had to bathe the babies, she even went inside the tub kasi di niya alam paano gagawin. Pina-swimming niya si Vette. Nagalit pa si Tita Susanna."

"Well, see? So don't be scared baby. Saka puwede ka naman magpatulong kay Mommy or Yaya Maring."

"Oo nga e. Si Ate Ria learned from Yaya Maring. Kaya nga gusto ko pumunta doon bukas para maalagaan ko din sila 'Tair at Astrid."

"Baka mapagod ka. Ayokong napapagod ka. Makulit pa naman ang mga pamangkin mo." She pouted before burying her face on my shoulder. I could feel her soft inhalations on top of my t-shirt.

"Hindi po. Di naman ako papabayaan ni Yaya Maring. Lalo pa si Kuya Ali." Oo nga naman. If there was one thing that didn't change through the years, it's Kuya Ali's fierce protectiveness. True, umalis na siya sa force pero bumuo naman siya ng private agency. He said he wanted to work closer to his family.

"Are you sleepy?" Napansin kong namumungay na ang mata niya at naghihikab. It's nearly ten pm pero alam kong antukin ang mga buntis. She nodded at me. Inubos niya ang hot choco niya and I washed  the mugs. She climbed to bed first at tulog na siya nang sumampa ako sa kama namin. I have to be extra careful not to wake her up.

By the light of the moon ghosting from the curtains I gazed at her sleeping face. Nothing could be more beautiful than my baby Aya... Well, that is until I'd meet my child. I wonder if it's a girl or a boy. I can't help but pull my wife gently into my embrace. She automatically wrapped her arms around me. I tucked the comforter around us and placed my hand over her baby bump. 

Baby, I'm the happiest man to have you in my arms.

"I love you Mrs. Constantino."