Chapter One

Lily and Scarlett were sat in a compartment to themselves on the Hogwarts express, preparing for the exciting year ahead of them. Scarlett stroked the pure white cat that sat on her lap as the girls talked, impatiently waiting for the train to start. They watched as the first years hugged their families goodbye and boarded the steam train.

"Remember when we were that small Lils?" Scarlett asked, laughing as she watched a first year girl burst into tears at the prospect of not seeing her family for a few months.

"I do actually, I hardly knew anything about magic! Only what Severus had told me." Lily sighed, thinking of the greasy boy who she used to call her friend. Funny that how only a matter of years ago she didn't even know she was a witch, but now she was predicted to get all Outstandings in her NEWTs by the Hogwarts divination teacher.

The train began to move and the girls carried on talking, telling all first years that tried to enter their compartment to just keep walking. The girls decided to change into their Hogwarts robes a little earlier than usual since Lily had a meeting with Professor Dumbledore at three o'clock. Lily pinned her Head girl badge to her robes and Scarlett poked fun at her for it, as she had been all summer.

"Do you know who got head boy?" Scarlett asked. Lily shook her head.

"No. I guess I'll find out soon though." She replied with a shrug. "I do hope they have picked someone with some sense, not that there's many. Someone like Remus Lupin would do." Scarlett nodded in agreement.

James Potter and Sirius Black walked past and looked in and saw the girls they'd been thinking about all summer. Lily rolled her eyes as they slammed their bodies against the glass of the door, staring at Scarlett longingly. She giggled and twirled a piece of her golden hair around her finger.

Lily just sighed and looked over at her best friend, envious of her appearance. She was very slim with gentle curves and her skin was sun kissed with a natural glow, blonde waves fell down her back and it was very long, often worn in a braid. She lapped up her male attention, and was flirtatious and always captivating her admirers with her cornflower blue eyes. She winked at the two boys looking at her through the window.

James' eyes diverted to stare at Lily for a second and he winked, smirking. She made a noise of disgust and pulled a book out of her satchel and began reading as Scarlett gestured for the boys to come in.

"Why hello there Sirius!" She greeted, patting the space next to her.

"Scar." He greeted casually, collapsing into the seat and he looked her up and down, grinning as he took in her naturally breathtaking appearance.

"Hey Lily." James smiled, even seeming slightly nervous as he scooted up as close as he could to her. "What are you reading?" He asked, politely.

"Jane Eyre." She replied shortly. Lily noticed something in his voice that made her wonder... He didn't seem as flirtatious as he normally was around her. He hadn't made any crude jokes or anything.

"Isn't that a muggle book?" He said in shock, pushing his circular glasses up his nose.

"Yes, but it's a classic. Not that you would be much into reading I suppose." She sighed, turning the page and wishing he would just leave her alone.

"I like some books." He replied with a shrug. Lily turned the corner of the page to mark it and set it down.

"Oh yeah? Name a-" She stopped mid sentence as she caught the glimpse of not one, but two badges on his robe. "No way." She said under her breath.

One read 'Quidditch Captain', the other read 'Head Boy'.

"You're head boy this year?" She exclaimed, her eyes wide in horror.