Chapter Two

"Alice!" Lily and Scarlett exclaimed at the same time, calling to their best friend as they stepped off the train. They rushed over to her and pulled her into a three way hug. "Goodness where have you been?" Lily asked worriedly. Had Alice been alone the whole journey?

"Well..." She started but was soon cut off as a boy climbed off the train.

"You left your book on your seat Al." Frank Longbottom interrupted, handing Alice her book and putting his arm around her shoulders. Lily and Scarlett looked at each other and grinned. Lily raised an eyebrow at her best friend.

"Hallo Frank," She greeted.

"Nice journey guys?" Scarlett asked, stifling a giggle, noticing the faint bit of Alice's lipstick in the corner of Frank's mouth.

"Much more fun than usual." He said with a wink, both girls erupted into a fit of giggles.

"Oi Evans!" James called. "Head girl duties!" Lily rolled her eyes, left her friends and walked over to James.

"What duties do I have at this moment James? We're not even in the castle yet." She sighed and shook her head.

"Oh well not right now, I just wanted to get in a carriage with you." He gave a wink and tried to grab her hand, she snatched it quickly away and looked up at him in horror. "Only joking. Come on Evans." He put his arm around her shoulder and guided her to the carriages.

"I do have a first name y'know Potter." She said grumpily, trying to shrug out of James's grasp, he reacted by gripping her tighter.

"So do I." He remarked with a grin. Lily sighed as James helped her into the cart. He followed and the cart started to move towards Hogwarts. Lily shivered in the cold night air, wishing she'd put on her cloak. "Are you cold Lils?" James asked worriedly.

"A little." She shrugged, James' eyes were wide and he shrugged off his own cloak then wrapped it around her, before pulling her into his arms.

"Better?" He whispered, his hot breath lingered on her cool skin and she shivered under James' embrace. Lily simply nodded. She couldn't believe she ever had such an almost intimate moment with James Potter. He was being annoyingly sweet. As they further approached the castle in blissful silence, Lily didn't want to reach the castle for a little while longer. She wanted to lie under the starlit sky with James, strangely, she didn't want him to let her go.

*

"Wow, this is beautiful, I can't believe it's all ours!" Lily exclaimed, spinning around their new common room.

"I know." James agreed, not paying attention to the room which was apparently beautiful, he was more intrigued by the beauty of the girl twirling around him, arms outstretched and giggling wildly as she approached dizziness. "Hey, stop that, you'll fall." James warned, catching her arm.

"Buzz kill." She said, a small pout forming on her lips, she stuck her tongue out at him and his heart flipped. He wondered how on earth someone could be so beautiful and captivating. This would be the year that he won her heart, after years of longing, this would be it. She wouldn't even have to try, his heart was stolen the minute he first saw her.

"C'mon Evans, it's getting late." He laughed, taking her hand and walking her to her new room.

"Who knew, James Potter is worried about bed times!" She chuckled. "Aw!"

"Has someone slipped you fire whisky?" He asked seriously, she didn't normally act anything like that. She shook her head. "Okay, good. I'm going to go get ready for bed now and if you're not in bed when I come back, I'll put you in there myself." He said sternly, knowing she could do with sleep for lessons the next day.

Ten minutes later, a pyjama clad James was knocking on Lily's door. There was no reply. He pushed the door open to find Lily, sprawled on her bed asleep in only her underwear. James sucked in a breath but he knew she'd freeze if he left her like that. Cautiously, he walked over to her and picked up her tiny frame into his arms, he threw back the bed covers and dropped her carefully into the bed, wrapping the sheets tightly around her. "Night Ev-Lily." He corrected himself, before dropping a kiss onto her forehead and walking out of the room.

*

"Lily!" James called, knocking on her bedroom door. Lily opened it, already dressed and ready for breakfast.

"Morning Potter," she greeted, with a smirk. She walked swiftly passed him towards the door. James watched her, with wide eyes. It was half eight in the morning but she still looked breathtaking. "James?"

"Eh, what?" He said, snapping out of his trance.

"I said, are you coming to breakfast, or are you just going to stand there like a loon?" She teased. He shook his head, chuckling slightly and they walked down to the great hall together.

"Potions first!" Lily said excitedly as they walked, James rolled his eyes. Great lesson where Snivelly can perv on Evans, James thought to himself, though he tried to stay positive since he knew Lily loved potions and he also rather enjoyed it, not to mention Professor Slughorn adored him.

When they reached the Gryffindor table, the pair found their friends all sitting together waiting for them. "Hi guys!" Lily said brightly, squeezing in between Scarlett and Alice.

"How was your first night in your special dorm?" Scarlett asked, envious of her friend's newfound privacy.

"Oh it's amazing! Isn't it James?" She looked to James who was arm wrestling Peter and clearly winning.

"Mmm." He mumbled an agreement. The girls laughed at Peter's failed attempt at trying to impress them. He struggled immensely under James' strong grasp. It was fair to say he didn't even have to try, Lily tried not to gape at his huge biceps but James caught her staring and winked at her. "Like what you see Evans?" He said, Lily rolled her eyes, he was back to flirting.

They ate and chatted about their holidays. though Remus stayed unusually quiet. Lily noticed Sirius and Scarlett kept exchanging glances, Scarlett had always liked him. James was thinking the same and he raised his eyebrows at Lily when the pair weren't looking. Lily gave a small shrug.

"Potions time everyone!" Lily smiled as breakfast ended. Alice, Sirius and Scarlett groaned.

"You're all about the fun Lil!" Alice laughed.

"Let's skip." Sirius decided. "C'mon James. Scar? You coming?" Scarlett nodded but Lily stopped them before they could walk off.

"No. We are all going." Lily said sternly, they all obliged, knowing she could easily give them a detention. So they all headed for the classroom where the potions lessons were held.

"Scarlett!" Peter tapped her shoulder as he scurried behind her, she turned and looked at him.

"Yes?" She asked, completely disinterested in what he had to say. Everyone knew he had a huge crush on her, but Scarlett was most repulsed by the boy.

"Would you like to sit by me in potions? We could work together. I'm quite good." He said nervously, stuttering slightly. Scarlett scoffed at his request.

"Sorry Peter, Sirius has already called shotgun on that seat." She said with a shrug, Sirius hung his arm around her shoulder then and glared at Peter.

"Don't you dare try anything." He mouthed. Peter gulped.

"Charms then?" He asked hopefully, ignoring Sirius.

"She's sitting with me for every lesson, don't waste your breath." Sirius growled. Peter looked at his feet, defeated. James nudged Lily.

"Sit with me?" He asked. Lily looked over at Alice. "Oh come on, you know she'll be with Frank!" He stated. Lily knew that this would be true.

"Ah okay, what's the harm in that?" She gave him a friendly smile as they took their seats next to one another after they entered Slughorn's classroom.

Step one of the plan complete. James thought, smiling to himself as he watched Lily start to take notes on whatever the hell the old man was rabbiting on about.