Chapter 5

TRIGGER WARNING! SUICIDE THEME.

ONE YEAR AFTER STEVE'S NIGHTMARE

Bucky smiled sadly as he looked at himself in the mirror. He was dressed in Steve's old Cap uniform, shield and all. Well, it was really his uniform now, and that broke his heart. Steve  broke his heart.

SIX MONTHS BEFORE THEN

Steven Grant Rogers was found dead today outside of his apartment building. His death is an apparent suicide, as detectives conclude he jumped off the building. Information has emerged confirming Rogers had been severely depressed and suicidal for years. There is no news at this moment as to who will take the shield, if anyone.

ONE MONTH AFTER STEVE'S DEATH

James Buchanan Barnes, formerly THE WINTER SOLDIER, will be taking over the duty of Captain America. When interviewed, Barnes said, "Steve wouldn't want Cap just to die just because he did. He left a note, one that I'm not giving away, that said  'If anyone's going to take the shield, it's going to be my boyfriend. And, well, I'm his boyfriend."

TWO MONTHS AFTER STEVE'S DEATH

"I miss you, Stevie," Bucky whispered to a picture of his boyfriend he held in his real hand as tears streamed down his face. "I need you to come back, no one's as good of a Cap as you were, especially not me. Please.." 

ELEVEN MONTHS AFTER STEVE'S DEATH

"Just one more month," Bucky whispered to himself. "Then you'll be with Steve again."

ONE YEAR AFTER STEVE'S NIGHTMARE

Dressed in Cap's uniform, Bucky dropped the shield, raising a gun to his head, closing his eyes. "Here I come, Stevie," he whispered, then pulled the trigger. BANG. His body fell to the ground, blood spilling from his head, gun falling out of his hand.

STEVE'S NOTE

Dearest Bucky,

I'm so sorry for doing this to you, my dear. I didn't want to have to. I just couldn't handle it anymore. The whole living thing. Don't blame yourself, you couldn't have saved me. No one could have. I want you to know that you are the most incredible thing to ever happen to me, and I want to thank you for all the happiness you've given me.

Do want you want with Cap--let 'em die if you want. But I can't have anyone but you take over the job, Buck. But if you don't want the job, give it to whoever. It's not like I'm going to know.

Forever Yours,
Steve