Chapter 28

Spike’s POV

I run after Ellie down a wealthy street and up the path to a big house.  When she get’s to the door she takes a big breath.

“Are you okay,” I ask, putting my hand on her back.

She smiles, “Yup.  I’m just fine.” Then she raps on the door.

A busty, blonde woman in yoga pants and sneakers opens the door.  In her hand she holds a coffee mug and the other has an iPhone, which is held to her ear.

“One sec, Jen… There’s someone a the door… Yes?” She looks at me expectedly.  I glance over at Ellie and she gaze follows.  Her eyes bulge and the mug in her hand drops to the floor.

“Ellie…”

“Hi, Mom.”

After a couple seconds, Jen on the phone starts yelling. 

“Hold on, Jen… Lemme call you back.”

“May we come in,” Ellie says politely.

“Oh, ya.  Of course,” Ellie’s mom says, opening her arm to gesture to come in, “ESMERELDA COME CLEAN UP THIS MESS.”

A petite woman comes downstairs with a broom, “Yes, ma’am.”

The woman looks up for a second and sees Ellie.

“Miss Ellie?”

“Esmerelda,” Ellie says, smiling.  She opens her arms and hugs the older woman.

Esmerelda gives Ellie a little kiss on the cheek and looks like she wants to say something else, but gets interrupted.

“That’s enough rejoicing, Esmerelda.  Go clean the mess.”

Ellie purses her lips at her mother’s harsh words.

“I see you haven’t changed much.”

“Well, I wish I could say the same for you,” her mother says eyeing her.

I can almost feel Ellie bristle. I pull her into my side, giving her an awkward side hug. But, it’s effective, and she calms a little.

“I told you I wasn’t happy.  You disregarded it.  So, I left.”

“It’s good to see your hanging out with other kids like you,” she says glancing at me.  This lady is a bitch.

“This is my partner, Spike. He’s a scythe.  It’s okay, show her.”

I change into a scythe and Ellie’s mom gasps. 

“There are a lot of people like me, at the school where I am at now.  But that’s not why I’m here.”

“You are such a selfish girl!”

Suddenly, Ellie and her mother are screaming at each other about stuff that I can’t comprehend.

“Ellie, focus,” I growl.

Immediately she straightens, “I came here to ask you about the people that gave me to you…”

Her mom’s face goes pale.

“Tell me… This is kind of life or death.”

The mother- bitch closes her eyes, “They gave you to me.  They told me that you were the baby of one of them and that you needed a home.  I was ecstatic because I had been wanting a child forever, and I couldn’t get pregnant.  It didn’t occur to me until later that you had no documentation. They were so odd.  But, I was so happy to have my own baby I didn’t think much of it.  As you know, the twins came later on and your father and I were over the moon, but ya…”

“Okay… So that didn’t answer my question. What did they look like?”

“They were young, and eerily beautiful.  Both with black hair, red lips and snow white skin.  They were dressed in all black.  One was taller and the other was stockier.  That’s all I remember.”

“Good. Thank you,” Ellie says and then she turns to go.

Her mother grabs her arm, “Ellie, please be safe. Please. I love you so much.  There hasn’t been a day-“

“Sure,” Ellie snaps and then she turns and walks away.

“Thank you ma’am,” I say before spinning to follow Ellie.

“Please,” she yells after me, “Please, promise me! Promise me you’ll protect her.”

I look back, and look the mother bitch in the eyes, “I promise.  I will die before your daughter gets hurt.”

The last thing I see before leaving, is the pathetic woman crying.  

Thank you sooooo much for reading! I love you soooo much! I'm so sorry I haven't been posting, but this week has been absolutely crazy.  I had five tests, two soccer games, and a violin performance to get through and I either had no time or was too exhausted to think for most of this week.  I will try to be more consistent going forwardd!!! I'm so sorry again, and I love you all more than life!