Chapter 45

Cameron’s POV

Ellie face is buried in her legs.  She won’t say anything.  I had to carry her inside, because she wouldn’t move. 

Fury sits across the room, rubbing her temple.  Tristan is pacing. Jack is leaning against the wall, watching his boyfriend. Matsukaze saw the letter, and ran into the bathroom to throw up.  Jasper is in the kitchen making tea for everyone. 

“Hey, sorry we’re late,” Eva says, running into the room.

Claire follows behind closely.

Fury hands the paper over wordlessly.

Eva reads it, then looks to Ellie.  Claire walks over to where Ellie is curled up and hugs her gently.

Matsukaze walks back into the room, swaying slightly.

“I can’t do this,” she murmurs.

“Those bastards have outdone themselves,” Tristan yells.

Ellie whines.

In the kitchen, I hear glass break.  I walk in and see Jasper at the sink, shaking.

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

I help him carry the mugs of tea into the living room.

Fury takes hers appreciatively.

“So, what do we do,” she asks, taking a swig of her tea.

Eva and Claire both nod their heads in thanks.

“I don’t know,” Eva says and Claire shakes her head in confusion.

Tristan takes his tea and sits cross-legged on the floor. Jack goes and sits next to him.

“Why,” Jack mutters.

From the corner, Charles says, “I thought they’d stopped.”

Matsukaze puts her head in Jasper’s lap.  He strokes her light blue hair gently.  I see tears streaming down his tan face.

“This needs to stop,” Fury says.

“We have to do something,” Claire says.

“How do we find them,” Charles asks, sitting down on the arm of Fury’s chair.

“We can ask Lord Death,” Matsukaze mumbles.

“God dammit, I’m going to find these fucking bitches and murder them,” Tristan yells slamming his mug down on the ground.

“NO,” Ellie screams.

Everyone stops and looks at her.  She’s shaking with tears streaming down her face.

“No more death.  Please.  No more,” she says, looking at the ground, “We will stop them.  I want to stop them. I want to stop them more than anything.  Just, please, no more death.  We can stop them without anyone losing their life.”

She is standing up.  Her white hair is covering her face.

“I’m going to bed,” she turns away.

“No,” I yell, “You are not isolating yourself again.  This is horrible.  But, we are going to work through it together.”

I move towards her and take her hands.

“I am your weapon.  I will protect you.  We will defeat them.  Together.”

“You don’t need to protect me,” she whispers.