Chapter Five

This book has gotten over 100 reads in a day! We are now at 550! Thanks so much for your guys's support! 

Chapter Five

I walked in my mother's home without even knocking. I just hope she hadn't realized I was gone.

"Mom?" I called as I made my way through the living room into the kitchen. She was sitting at the dining room table with her back turned to me. When she heard my voice, she looked over her shoulder. Her eyes were wide for a moment, "Ohh, Hayley, are you finally speaking to me?"

I stared at her, confused, "What?"

"You haven't called in a week. I figured you were acting childishly, and were giving me the silent treatment. Really, honey, I know we made you a bit upset, but I'm your mother." She stood up, "I'm not always going to be around, I would like you to call, just to reassure me that you are okay." She wrapped her arms around me, "I was worried."

She didn't even realize I was gone. She just thought I was being a stubborn bitch.

I was absolutely speechless. 

I gently pushed her away, "Mom, if you were so worried, why didn't you just come to my place?" Then you would have seen I was missing in a damn coma.

"I just figured you were angry at me, I assumed you wouldn't even let me in your home."

I began to raise my voice, "Since when have I ever not allowed you in my house? Actually, no, scratch that, when have you ever thought about even coming to my home to check on me?"

She looked a bit startled, "Haley, why are you getting so upset? You were the one being stubborn, not me."

I stepped back, "I wasn't being-uhg!" I ran my hand through my hair, "It's not like that at all!"

"Then why didn't you call?"

"Because!" I couldn't tell her I was shot with a freeze gun by a maniac psycho, rescued by a man with superpowers, and brought to S.T.A.R. labs where I was in a coma for eight days. 

Just thinking about it was hard to believe.

Of course, I was going to have to think of a lie. "Because. . . my phone was out for a while. I couldn't call or text anyone."

She scoffed, "Then why didn't you come over?"

"Because my car broke down!" At least that wasn't a lie, "Now you have no excuse for not coming to my house to check on me."

She sighed, and nodded, "You're right. I should have come and checked on you. I'm sorry." She again, tried to hug me, and this time I didn't pull away.  Her words felt meaningless to me, even if she was sincere. 

I'm sure if it were one of my sisters, she would have dropped everything, and run to their house before they'd even get a chance to breathe.

After I stayed for a while longer, feeling that I had to stay for at least an hour so my mother can tell me about ever little thing that happened over the eight days I was gone, I finally found my chance to leave. 

My car was currently in the shop, so I didn't really have a ride to get home with. This time, I wasn't as afraid since it was midday and I had Barry on speed-dial. 

I didn't go home though. Even though Caitlin directed that I went straight home, I couldn't. 

I had to go to work.

After an hour and a half of walking extremely slow, since I did feel mildly exhausted from the coma in which I slept for eight days in, I finally reached the building that I worked in.

I still pathetically had a pathetic life.  Which means, I have a job dedicate my soul too, or else I'd be forced to move back in with my mother.

I can't move back in with my mother.

That's like asking an angel to move in with Satan himself.

Luckily for me, I usually was allowed to work from home. Gather the paperwork that accumulates all week, and finish it in a night's time.

Of course, I had to come in to speak to my boss. I'm sure they'd be just delighted to know I was out of work for nearly eight days.

I have a lot of paperwork to do.

There is no resting for me anytime soon.