Chapter 3 - Photo of Henry

Chapter Three

Both brothers cautiously made their way towards the cheerful voices in the drawing room. Henry tensed as he recognised Vernon’s voice laughing with his mother.

As they were about to enter, they were joined by Sebastian who looked less than impressed. Henry could tell that his father had combed his hair and put on a freshly laundered suit. He was trying to outclass Emilia’s old beau.

“I remember that!” Emilia exclaimed as they opened the door. “Oh, I was so young.”

Emilia and Vernon were sitting on the same settee with teacups in their hands. They were too close for all three of their likings.

“Oh, good.” Emilia smiled. “You’re here. Vernon, this is my husband, Sebastian. My eldest, James, and my youngest, Henry.” She gestured to each of them. “But you already know Henry, of course. I have three daughters also, but alas, they have married and left me!” Emilia giggled.  

“You look ravishing for a woman who’s had five children. Really, really beautiful,” Vernon remarked. He then turned to look at Henry before shooting him a charismatic smile. “Henry, how are you m’boy? Dreaming in Italian yet? I, unfortunately, do. I fear I will replace my English with it soon enough.” He chuckled. Henry did not like his insistence at calling him ‘m’boy’.

Only Emilia laughed.   

“Vernon was just reminding me of the mischief we got up to when we were in school. Before I came to London, of course.” Emilia seemed to sense the tension in the room.

“Was he now?” Sebastian asked, raising a disapproving brow.

“Oh, yes.” Vernon chuckled. “My Em was quite the rebel when we were children.”

Both Henry and James exchanged a knowing glance. That would set their jealous father over the edge.

“Your Em?” he repeated poisonously. “She is not, not will she ever be your Em. I am the only one who calls her that.” Sebastian moved swiftly to stand beside his wife. “And I think this visit is highly inappropriate. My Em has been married to me for thirty years. Your time has gone.”

Instead of Vernon feeling intimidated, he just laughed. Emilia, on the other hand, looked humiliated. Her cheeks were bright red and her hands were in fists on her lap.

“James,” Emilia growled. “Why don’t you and your father go upstairs and revise the financials or something. Now.” Sebastian attempted to put a hand on Emilia’s shoulder but she shrugged it off.

“Papa,” James breathed. “Let us go.”

Sebastian reluctantly turned away. “Watch him,” he whispered to Henry as he departed. Henry nodded. His father would no doubt be sleeping in another bedchamber that evening.

Once they were out of the room, Emilia began apologising. “I am so sorry, Vernon, honestly, I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I don’t know what came over him!”

Vernon shook his head. “Not at all, if I were your husband I’d be cautious of other men too. You are clearly the most beautiful being that man has ever beheld and he is desperate to hold on to you.”

Henry needed to make his presence known and engage in conversation so Vernon did not have an opportunity to charm his mother away from his father. He knew Emilia would never stray physically but there was no guarantee that he heart might not fall into Vernon’s hands.