Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

He sent word to James, Harrison, William, Joseph and Connor with the simplest of instructions – an address and the words ‘come immediately’.  They would not hesitate. They were family. If there was a problem, they dealt with it together.

There was an inn down the road from the secluded brothel that Henry had chosen to stay at. From his window in the upstairs room he could see who came and went. The inn wasn’t a particularly nice establishment. It just gave him the simplest of beds, a wash table and a desk. He spent the majority of his time sitting at the desk and watching the building. The only ‘customers’ were aging men who appeared to be guiltily checking over their shoulders, as if to make sure their wives were not aware of them being there. It disgusted him to see how many men dishonoured their marriage vows.

Connor was the first to arrive a week after he’d sent his letters. Carrying a satchel of belongings and a sturdy, Scottish dirk, he was prepared for whatever Henry needed him for.

“I’m sorry to take you away from Sabine and the children,” Henry apologised as Connor set his things down on the small bed.

“It’s no’ a problem, Henry,” Connor assured him, flashing him a crooked smile. “I know you’d do the same for me if I needed it.” Henry had forgotten how thick Connor’s Scottish accent was. His voice made Alice seem like she spoke perfect English.

“Thank you,” he said gratefully. “How are the children?” he asked. “And Sabine for that matter. I hear congratulations are in order. Number four!”

Connor chuckled. “I know, I’m very lucky. I think tha’ is where we’ll stop though, I don’ think my nerves could handle Sabine in labour again. Ellie, Colin and Callum are very happy with their new sister.”

Henry was yet to meet the newest addition to the McKenzie clan. He would meet the new daughter come Christmastime, though she would nearly be a year old then. “Mama said you called her Lily?” He recalled hearing the name over breakfast when they’d received word of the birth in late January.

“Aye,” Connor confirmed. “She’s as bonny as a cherub and I’m a very proud da’.” He looked it when he spoke about his children. Henry craved that feeling, the feeling of unconditional love towards one’s children. He thought he would make a good father one day – he was already a good uncle.

Henry filled Connor in on everything. He told him all about Ebony, how she was imprisoned and what Vernon held over her and all the other people who worked for him. Connor was ready to help immediately.

Two days later one of Ethridge’s carriages arrived outside the inn driven by William. His brother and his brother’s in law all climbed out carrying the bare essentials, all looking ready for business.

James briefed them all on what the prostitute had told him. Celeste was kept in the attic. Mrs Young had the key. There were paid guards that they had to get through.

“No problem,” Connor said deviously, flexing his enormous biceps. “My father may have been a tyrant in my youth, bu’ he knew how to train a soldier.”

“And I didn’t rise to my position in the navy without learning a few tricks,” William added. On his hip was a pistol and his naval sword. Henry didn’t want anyone to die … bar one man, but he wasn’t here … but he certainly would not have any deaths on his conscience, or on the consciences of the people he loved.

“I must reiterate, you don’t have to be involved,” Henry said again, after he’d said so twelve or so times before. If they weren’t sure, he didn’t want to put them in danger.