Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty – Three

Ebony wasn’t required at court the next day. Or the day after that. The solicitors were reviewing other evidence and statements as well as questioning the final witnesses that had come forward to testify against Vernon. If Ebony didn’t have to be there, she didn’t want to be.

She would be there for the sentencing but not before. Hearing the defence paint Vernon as a ‘saint’ who was being extorted for money was not her idea of an enjoyable time.

Sebastian and Henry went every day though and brought back with them the news of what had occurred.

When the seventh day of the trail had ended, Henry and Sebastian had come home to tell the rest of the family that the jury was out, and that the defence had nothing and that their closing statement was more of a bed for mercy than a protest of Vernon’s innocence.

Word would be sent to the house for when the jury had reached their verdict and then they would all go into the court to hear Vernon’s sentence. Ebony didn’t know if she was hoping for his execution or not. Did that make her a terrible person if she wanted his death? She didn’t think time in prison would be enough. She wondered if perhaps the judge would send him on the prison ships to Australia to labour as a convict for seven years. Even then, seven years of labour would not make up for the decades of suffering he’d caused people, and not just her.

When thinking logically though, she didn’t think that, if found guilty, Vernon could escape the hangman’s noose.

While waiting for the verdict, the Alcotts distracted themselves with organising a farewell do for William as he set off on his six month voyage across the Atlantic Ocean. Sebastian and Emilia were big supporters of their son-in-law’s career and wanted to send him off in style.

The ball was organised for three days before the HMS Scarlet was set to sail. Ebony had never been to a ball before, nor had she ever really danced. She wouldn’t be dancing much either as she’d been commissioned to lead the band. She was singing for the first time in a long time. It was a nice distraction to be practicing. She was actually looking forward to it.

Since she’d been singing the songs for so long, she’d decided to sing her I puritani performances but in a lower key. She didn’t want to be responsible for shattering any champagne glasses or windows.

The ballroom at Ethridge was a large, rectangular room toward the back of the house. There were large windows adjacent to the door which gave a beautiful view of the garden and the rest of London. There was also an easily accessible courtyard which would provide guests a place to go to escape the noise of the balls. While she practiced, footmen and maids scurried about the room getting it ready for the guests. Tables were being brought in along with chairs to put around the edge of the room. A stage was being erected and a great British flag was being hung on the far wall – a sign of patriotism and proudness of their leaving hero. At the end of each song they all stopped and applauded her which made her feel quite flattered. She enjoyed performing for people.

There was no doubt in her mind that one day she would like to return to the stage. There was a certain thrill she got when her voice got to its highest octave. Just knowing she could do something that many others couldn’t made her feel quite special. And that sort of feeling didn’t come to someone like her very often.

After she’d finished softly singing A una fonte afflitto e solo she heard the slow, strong clap belonging to large, male hands. Looking up from the newly erected stage she saw Henry standing in the doorway with a delighted smile on his face.

“You are magnificent,” he stated proudly. “So talented. So, so talented.”

Ebony blushed. “I don’t know about that,” she said bashfully. Though she knew she could sing, praise still made anyone feel a little vain.