Chapter Six: Relax

Chapter 6—Relax

Colton and I were bonding over dinner.

"How is it?" he asked, as I took a bite of spaghetti.

"It's delicious," I replied. "I didn't know you were such a good cook."

"You'd be surprised. There are a lot of things I'm good at," he said, winking.

"So, um...I need to ask you something."

"Go on. Don't hesitate."

"Is—I mean are we—would you consider this as a date?" I asked.

"I don't know. Do you want it to be a date? After all, we're having homemade Italian food in your house, and we did kiss. So..."

"To any other person, it would sound like a date."

"Then, I guess it is," he agreed.

"But what about Lu—"

"Shh, don't talk about her," he said, interrupting me. "Don't use the L-word."

"But won't she be angry? She might break up with you and—"

"And what? If she breaks up with me, then I'll let her go."

"Then, I don't want you stringing me along if I can't have you anyway," I admitted.

"I'm not stringing you along," Colton claimed. "Trust me. I've been thinking, and I'm trying to find a way to break it off gently with her."

"Even if it means disappointed your father and Stella London?"

"Well, just because Lucy and I won't work out, that doesn't mean that our companies can't still be partners."

"Why would you do that?" I asked. "Why would you give that up?"

"There are some things in this world that I just have to do for myself and nobody else. Elena, you made me realize how miserable I was with Lucy. Because of you, I realized that I could never be truly in love with her."

"I am so sorry for ruining your relationship," I said.

Colton stood up and walked over to my side of the table. "Don't be. I'm glad that you ruined it. Because now, I feel like I have something better to look forward to."

He leaned down and gave me a long kiss.

We finished our dinner and spent the next couple of hours watching a movie.

Unfortunately, Colton had to leave.

"Can I expect you at work tomorrow?" he asked, standing in the doorway.

"Count on it," I answered and gave him a quick kiss before letting him go.

*

The next day, Harper jumped out of her spot behind the front desk and squealed.

"So, what happened?" she whispered.

I remained silent.

"Oh no, the silent treatment. Please don't be mad at me."

I decided to mess with her and put on an angry face.

"You sent the boss to check up on me? How could you do that? Do you have any idea how much trouble I'm in?"

"I—I'm sorry, Elena. I didn't mean to—"

I started laughing, and she realized that I was joking.