Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I reminded myself of my recent epiphanies about life, love and anger and forced a smile. Besides, Rick undoubtedly had some loose change on him and could probably be conned into getting me something to eat.

He set the flowers on the night stand. "How you feeling, babe?" he asked, and leaned over to kiss me on the forehead.

"Hungry. How are you feeling?"

He smiled and stroked the back of his hand down my cheek. "Can't keep my girl down."

"How did you find out I was here? Did it make the local news?" I was kidding, of course. At least, I hoped I was kidding. If my parents found out about this, I'd never hear the end of it. Somehow it would be my fault that I'd been poisoned and embarrassed them in the media.

"I called the shop and Paula told me. I told her I was very unhappy with her for not calling me when they first found you. I'd have been right here with you the whole time. You know that, don't you?"

I didn't know any such thing considering how much time I'd been alone when we lived together, but I didn't want to irritate him when he was my closest link to food. I grunted noncommittally. "The flowers are beautiful," I said sweetly, "but you know what would make me even happier right now? A Coke and some chips and maybe a candy bar. Would you mind getting me some? Please?"

He frowned. "Paula said you were in here for food poisoning. Do you think you ought to be eating junk food already? I could ask the nurse to bring you some Jello."

Food poisoning. Very clever of Paula, telling the truth but making it sound like something totally different. "Been there, done that. Now I want something substantial. And anyway the poisoning didn't come from junk food. Tell you what, if you'll lend me some money, I'll order a pizza with lots of veggies on it. Does that sound healthy enough?"

It took some persuading, but I knew he'd give in. I could tell from the flowers that he was in suck-up mode. I ordered a giant pizza with double toppings. What the heck, I could probably sell the extra pieces, if there were any, to other starving patients.

He even got me a Coke and some peanuts to tide me over until the pizza arrived.

He insisted on opening the bag of nuts and popping the top on the can of Coke. Yes, he was definitely in suck-up mode.

"When are you being released?" he asked as I inhaled both items. With a little food, my attitude mellowed. I might even like the nurse if she came back.

Nah, probably not.

"I'm checking out at one thirty," I said.

"That's just another hour and a half. I'll wait and take you home."

That was not a good idea. "I've already got a ride."

"With who?"

"A friend." Maybe that was stretching it a bit, but I wasn't going to admit my ride was with a cop.

"Just call her and tell her your husband is taking you home."

I really wished he'd stop that husband business, but I didn't think this was the time to bring it up when I needed money from him to pay for the pizza. "I can't do that. I don't know how to reach my friend." That was sort of true. His business card with his extension number was home with my clothes. "Look, it's already set up. My friend is going to my house to bring me back some clothes then come back here to take me home. Everything's planned. I really appreciate your offer, but there's no point in it."

"I'm your husband. You can change those plans for me."

I was getting distinctly unmellow in spite of my previous epiphany. "No, I can't. Didn't I say that already?"