And Meet Me There Tonight

Barba's work kept him from checking in with her for most of the day. Finally around three that afternoon, he was able to shoot her a short text. 'Sorry about this morning. Hope you're feeling okay.'

He had already made plans to visit when he got off work at six. Maybe even bring dinner. His attention had been scattered throughout most of the day so when he finally sat down at his desk to check his phone again it was a quarter after five. He frowned when he saw a couple texts from his Mom and one from his sister.

But nothing from Olivia.

- -

Olivia wouldn't admit it to anyone but herself that Barba had been right. Even though she felt better as the day wore on, some real rest would have been better for her all the way around.

Her day had been quiet as the one six had known about her illness and hadn't tried to reach her but once around noon and that was really just to more or less check in than run business by her. And for that, she had been forever grateful. Fin had stepped in, doing all he could to keep a sick Olivia at home where she needed to be.

Her cellphone was somewhere. She hadn't cared to look for it. It wasn't until her stomach rumbled that she began the search for it. She wasn't in the mood to cook, so they would settle for take-out. Noah wouldn't mind as he had been asking for noodles most of the day.

"Chinese food it is," she told him as she crawled toward the couch on her hands and knees, looking under toys and pillows and the chair as she went along. So far, she hadn't found it. Frowning, she finally asked, "Noah, my sweet boy, have you seen Mommy's phone?"

Noah followed behind her, repeating what she did as she continued to look for it. He didn't know where it was, but he wanted to play her game too. "Find Mommy's phone?" he asked as he climbed onto the chair and looked behind the throw pillow that rested there. "No phone!" He plopped down onto the chair cushion and scooted back onto the floor on his feet.

She smiled tiredly at him. "Thank you, Noah. You are such a big helper!" When he gave her that smile of his, she couldn't help but wrap him into a big hug. "Where else should we look?"

- -

Barba kept glancing at his phone screen as it sat in the hands free cradle on his dash. No new texts meant no word from Olivia. He knew her well enough to know that she hadn't not responded out of spite. Something was wrong. He felt the dread in the pit of his stomach, and all he could do was pray that Noah was okay.

He spoke clearly, "Call Olivia." His phone started to automatically dial her number. When it began to ring through his car speakers, he drummed the steering wheel impatiently. He was stuck at a red light. The phone rang six times before he got her voicemail once again. "Damon it, Liv. You're scaring me. Please call me back as soon as you get this."

He jammed his foot down on the pedal as soon as the light turned green. He forgot all about the dinner he had planned to pick up on the way and headed straight for her neighborhood.

- -

Olivia had given up on looking for her cellphone when she headed to the bathroom. The overwhelming need to brush her teeth and run a brush through her hair before the delivery man brought their dinner was strong. She may have been sick, but she didn't want to look half dead when he arrived. She had given up on finding-and using-her cellphone to place the order and had settled for using her landline instead.

It was there that she found her phone on the sink. Then she remembered that she had taken it with her when she had gone to relieve herself hours before. She saw the led light blinking furiously between red, green, and blue; the clear signs that she had missed a call, had a voicemail, as well as a text.

Her fingers skimmed over the screen to unlock her phone. She smirked as she realized they were all from Barba. She punched the voicemail and held it to her ear. She frowned when she heard how frantic his voice sounded and how concerned he had been when he had been unable to communicate with her.

She started to dial his number when there was a knock on the door. She hung up and hurried toward the door. "Who is it?"

"Chinese delivery."

"One second," she called as she frantically searched for her purse. She found it on the couch and grabbed her wallet. Moving to the door, she pulled out enough from to cover the meal plus a generous tip. She pulled open the door. "Thank you so..." The words died on her lips as she came face to face with Barba and a bag of Chinese take-out.

"Ran into the guy downstairs. It's on me." He held the bag out to her. "I called." He bounced on the balls of his feet, slightly fearful that she was going to turn him away.

"I misplaced my phone. I didn't find it until right before you knocked." She took the bag and stepped back to invite him in. "I was returning your call. I didn't mean to frighten you. I've been resting best that I could with Noah here."

He stepped inside, removing his jacket and loosening his tie and removing it as well. He spotted Noah before the boy spotted him. "There's my little man." He scooped him up when Noah came toward him with his arms up. "Taking care of Mommy, I hope."

Noah touched Barba's cheeks and giggled. He then hugged him and laid his head on Barba's shoulder. He grabbed onto his suspender and held on tightly.

Olivia watched as the two interacted with each other. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw how they had bonded when he stepped in to take care of them both the night before. She placed the bag on the counter and moved toward where they stood.

"He's been amazing." She touched Noah's back and Barba's arm. "And I never really thanked you for last night." She moved closer, leaning in to press a kiss to his cheek. "You were amazing."

His cheeks burned bright red as her lips pressed to his cheek. He cleared his throat. "I was happy to help."

She stepped away and offered, "Can you have dinner with us? There should be plenty."

Barba moved to put Noah in his high chair. "I'm starving. What about you, mijo? Are you hungry?"

"Noodles," Noah announced proudly.

She laughed softly. "Well, I'll get the plates, and we can dig in." She reached above her head into the cabinet to pull down two regular plates and Noah's Paw Patrol plate and placed them on the counter.

He moved to stop her. "Let me. Please? We both know you're Wonder Woman, but I can see how tired you are, Liv." He touched her arm. When she turned to face him, they were standing close together. He touched her hip gently. "Go freshen up. I've got this."

"Trying to tell me something, Barba?" Her heart raced in her chest as she felt he step even closer to her. She tried to speak, but nothing would come out. She looked down, placing her hands on his hips to steady herself.

He shook his head. "Just that you deserve a moment to take care of yourself." He moved his hand under her chin and lifted her face so he could meet her eyes. "I know you like being independent, but it never hurts to let someone take care of you every so often."