Growing Closer.

The four drifted up through darkness for several long minutes of silence. Then suddenly light shone through her bubble. When Reagan looked up, she was temporarily blinded by the bright rays of sunlight, distorted but appearing nonetheless. The bubble slowed down, and to her astonishment a large fish with muddled, grey scales drifted past her before darting away into the murkiness. Finally the bubbles popped above the ocean, and they all fell into the water with a splash. Los Angeles was a mess, and Reagan guessed that was because of Hades below creating an earthquake when he shouted. Pillars of smoke drifted up, created by fires that the earthquakes must have started. They floated there in utter silence, with Percy hugging the backpack to his chest sadly. His eyes looked stormy at the moment, green eyes dark and murky like the ocean they were floating in. In the distance a boat was heading in their direction, and it belonged to the authorities. Blinking, Percy Jackson willed himself to get wet so that they wouldn't look weird, and then gave Grover his shoes so that the authorities wouldn't pick up a goat boy. Reagan felt immensely bad for Percy because he had to leave his mom behind in the Underworld.

The boat picked them up and took them back to shore, and the four of them had quickly made up an excuse and were now walking down the docks, drenched to the bones. A man was standing on the beach, a shotgun casually resting on his shoulder as he stared out at the vast ocean. When they neared him, they easily realized who it was. Ares. The God of War was waiting for them, and turned as soon as they were close enough to recognize him. Percy's eyes immediately narrowed, and Reagan shuffled uncomfortably and stared at anything except her own father. This was her father, this god, had an interest in her mother even if it was only temporary. The thought was somehow unsettling now.

"So you survived," Ares observed dryly with a sigh, his gaze facing over the Satyr and each Demigod, including his own daughter before looking back at Percy. "I was hoping Hades could finish the job," he sneered.

"It was you," Percy said flatly, shaking slightly with anger. "You gave us this bag that had the Helm of Darkness in it. You wanted us to walk right into the Underworld with Hades helm, so that he'd think we stole it!"

Ares smirked. "You think it's only me pulling the strings here, kid? There's forces out there even more powerful than me."

Percy scowled. "You set up your own daughter!" he shouted angrily, waving a hand towards Reagan, who really didn't seem like she wanted to be noticed right now. Her shoulders were shrunken in, like she was trying to make herself shrink.

Ares noticed her for the first time. "You think she's more important than what's going on here?" Then he paused, a stricken expression on his face as a dark shroud passed through them like a cold wind.

Percy shook his head, and Ares was back at it again like nothing had happened. "I want to challenge you to a sword fight. Whoever wins gets the helm and the lightning bolt," Percy offered, and when Ares grinned maliciously and pulled the shotgun out, the Demigod continued, "first blood wins."

Ares still grinned, a roar of laughter coming out suddenly. "Do you even know who I am, kid?"

"A big, dumb idiot?"

The god chuckled and shook his head, the shotgun transforming into a large sword that Ares carried with one hand, but if one of them tried to pick it up it would take both hands and two people to do so. "I like your spunk. You've got yourself a deal."

Percy handed the backpack over to Reagan and pulled Riptide out, taking slow and deliberate steps towards Ares. Mortals walked passed them, couples whispering to each other and Reagan knew this wouldn't end with them running away like in the past. When the battle started, she was surprised that Percy was still alive even in the first few seconds. It was proof enough of how much he had changed since the beginning of their quest, when she was sure that he wouldn't live for a few minutes against a fight with her father. But even now, Percy was careful. He rolled and sliced at Ares, but instead of deflecting incoming attacks, the Demigod danced out of reach of the blade then attacked again.